Jul 20, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Iowa State lost senior guards Tyrus McGee and Korie Lucious to graduation, but they’re hoping for a strong year from rising senior Bubu Palo to offset some of their production.
Although Palo only played in 17 games and averaged 12.5 minutes per game — in part due to an in-season suspension until a sexual abuse charge was dismissed — he’s put up big numbers this summer playing in the Capital City League.
Palo became just the second player in the summer league’s history to average a triple-double for the summer as he put up 33.8 points, 11.2 rebounds and 11.3 assists per game. The only player to previously do that was former Cyclone and NBA first-round draft pick Royce White.
The numbers have helped Palo form a new confidence that he hopes will aid in his production in his final year in Ames according to a story from the Ames Tribune.
“I’m in the gym,” Palo told the Tribune, “but sometimes you’re in the game and you’re out there, if you’re not confident when you shoot it, you’re not necessarily going to make it as much.
“My confidence is definitely up, so that’s probably why I’m shooting the ball better.”
The Cyclones will certainly need Palo to step up his production as he only averaged 2.8 points per game last season and will be counted on as a four-year player and one of the only seniors at Iowa State next season.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)