Jul 20, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Iowa State lost senior guards Tyrus McGee and Korie Lucious to graduation, but they’re hoping for a strong year from rising senior Bubu Palo to offset some of their production.
Although Palo only played in 17 games and averaged 12.5 minutes per game — in part due to an in-season suspension until a sexual abuse charge was dismissed — he’s put up big numbers this summer playing in the Capital City League.
Palo became just the second player in the summer league’s history to average a triple-double for the summer as he put up 33.8 points, 11.2 rebounds and 11.3 assists per game. The only player to previously do that was former Cyclone and NBA first-round draft pick Royce White.
The numbers have helped Palo form a new confidence that he hopes will aid in his production in his final year in Ames according to a story from the Ames Tribune.
“I’m in the gym,” Palo told the Tribune, “but sometimes you’re in the game and you’re out there, if you’re not confident when you shoot it, you’re not necessarily going to make it as much.
“My confidence is definitely up, so that’s probably why I’m shooting the ball better.”
The Cyclones will certainly need Palo to step up his production as he only averaged 2.8 points per game last season and will be counted on as a four-year player and one of the only seniors at Iowa State next season.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)