Jul 20, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
Iowa State lost senior guards Tyrus McGee and Korie Lucious to graduation, but they’re hoping for a strong year from rising senior Bubu Palo to offset some of their production.
Although Palo only played in 17 games and averaged 12.5 minutes per game — in part due to an in-season suspension until a sexual abuse charge was dismissed — he’s put up big numbers this summer playing in the Capital City League.
Palo became just the second player in the summer league’s history to average a triple-double for the summer as he put up 33.8 points, 11.2 rebounds and 11.3 assists per game. The only player to previously do that was former Cyclone and NBA first-round draft pick Royce White.
The numbers have helped Palo form a new confidence that he hopes will aid in his production in his final year in Ames according to a story from the Ames Tribune.
“I’m in the gym,” Palo told the Tribune, “but sometimes you’re in the game and you’re out there, if you’re not confident when you shoot it, you’re not necessarily going to make it as much.
“My confidence is definitely up, so that’s probably why I’m shooting the ball better.”
The Cyclones will certainly need Palo to step up his production as he only averaged 2.8 points per game last season and will be counted on as a four-year player and one of the only seniors at Iowa State next season.
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)