Jul 20, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Iowa State lost senior guards Tyrus McGee and Korie Lucious to graduation, but they’re hoping for a strong year from rising senior Bubu Palo to offset some of their production.
Although Palo only played in 17 games and averaged 12.5 minutes per game — in part due to an in-season suspension until a sexual abuse charge was dismissed — he’s put up big numbers this summer playing in the Capital City League.
Palo became just the second player in the summer league’s history to average a triple-double for the summer as he put up 33.8 points, 11.2 rebounds and 11.3 assists per game. The only player to previously do that was former Cyclone and NBA first-round draft pick Royce White.
The numbers have helped Palo form a new confidence that he hopes will aid in his production in his final year in Ames according to a story from the Ames Tribune.
“I’m in the gym,” Palo told the Tribune, “but sometimes you’re in the game and you’re out there, if you’re not confident when you shoot it, you’re not necessarily going to make it as much.
“My confidence is definitely up, so that’s probably why I’m shooting the ball better.”
The Cyclones will certainly need Palo to step up his production as he only averaged 2.8 points per game last season and will be counted on as a four-year player and one of the only seniors at Iowa State next season.
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)