Jul 20, 2013, 2:34 PM EST
Georgia Tech may have found an answer to their point guard problem.
Trae Golden, who left the Tennessee program last month, is headed to Atlanta to be a Yellow Jacket, according to a report from Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com.
“I appreciate everything that Coach (Cuonzo) Martin and Tennessee did for me,” Golden said. “I feel it’s the best move for me to go home to Atlanta so I can be close to my family and help take care of my father.”
Golden averaged 12.1 points and 3.9 assists for the Vols last season, and reportedly left in good academic standing. He said that his father is “severely ill” and that he will be attempting to get waiver to play immediately.
If he is cleared, Tech has a chance to sneak up on some people in the ACC next season. Robert Carter and Marques Georges-Hunt return, but getting a ball-handler with some scoring pop can be the difference-maker for that team.
Are they a tournament team now? That’s debatable. But don’t be surprised if they’re in the bubble conversation come February.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)