Jul 21, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
When Cuonzo Martin accepted the head coaching job at the University of Tennessee in 2011, he was inked to a five year contract worth $1.3 million per year. As announced by Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart, Martin’s salary will be increased $50,000 heading into the 2013-14 season.
Hart explained that the bump is attributed to two reasons:
The first is that Cuonzo led our program to top-five finishes in the SEC in his first two years, which is impressive. The other thing is that, personally, I appreciate the leadership that he has provided at the University of Tennessee and in guiding those young men.
According to GoVolsXtra.com, the breakdown of Martin’s salary is as follows: “The extra $50,000 will be split evenly among his base salary, which rises to $350,000, and his broadcasting payout, now $450,000. The remainder of Martin’s salary stems from apparel ($325,000) and endorsements ($225,000).”
$1.35 million is hardly chump change, but Martin’s revamped salary still ranks in the bottom half of the SEC when compared to his counterparts’ salaries.
Martin, who has done a stellar job stabilizing the Tennessee program following the antics Bruce Pearl pulled — remember that BBQ incident? — explained that, regardless of what he is compensated, he will always work hard at his craft: “Regardless of what I’m making and that sort of thing, I’m always going to do my job to the best of my ability. It was a great gesture, but I don’t get caught up in perception or anything on the outside. I’m here to do a job.”
Tennessee is coming off a 20-13 season that saw them just miss out on the NCAA Tournament. Martin brings back many of his top players — save for Trae Golden who recently transferred to Georgia Tech — along with Memphis transfer Antonio Barton. The Volunteers will most likely be a fringe Top 25 team to begin the 2013-14 season.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)