Jul 21, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
When Cuonzo Martin accepted the head coaching job at the University of Tennessee in 2011, he was inked to a five year contract worth $1.3 million per year. As announced by Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart, Martin’s salary will be increased $50,000 heading into the 2013-14 season.
Hart explained that the bump is attributed to two reasons:
The first is that Cuonzo led our program to top-five finishes in the SEC in his first two years, which is impressive. The other thing is that, personally, I appreciate the leadership that he has provided at the University of Tennessee and in guiding those young men.
According to GoVolsXtra.com, the breakdown of Martin’s salary is as follows: “The extra $50,000 will be split evenly among his base salary, which rises to $350,000, and his broadcasting payout, now $450,000. The remainder of Martin’s salary stems from apparel ($325,000) and endorsements ($225,000).”
$1.35 million is hardly chump change, but Martin’s revamped salary still ranks in the bottom half of the SEC when compared to his counterparts’ salaries.
Martin, who has done a stellar job stabilizing the Tennessee program following the antics Bruce Pearl pulled — remember that BBQ incident? — explained that, regardless of what he is compensated, he will always work hard at his craft: “Regardless of what I’m making and that sort of thing, I’m always going to do my job to the best of my ability. It was a great gesture, but I don’t get caught up in perception or anything on the outside. I’m here to do a job.”
Tennessee is coming off a 20-13 season that saw them just miss out on the NCAA Tournament. Martin brings back many of his top players — save for Trae Golden who recently transferred to Georgia Tech — along with Memphis transfer Antonio Barton. The Volunteers will most likely be a fringe Top 25 team to begin the 2013-14 season.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)