Jul 21, 2013, 4:45 PM EST
Korvotney Barber was one of the most highly decorated recruits in the history of Auburn basketball, as he’s one of just two McDonald’s All-Americans to sign with and play for the program.
In four seasons as a Tiger Barber posted averages of 10.9 points and 7.2 rebounds per game, earning second team All-SEC honors during his senior season (2009). For his efforts Barber was also named team MVP as a senior, and he finished his career tied for 12th on the school’s all-time scoring list with 1,386 points.
Sadly, according to AL.com, Barber was reported missing by police in Panama Beach City, Fla. after disappearing in the water Saturday evening. On Sunday, Panama City Beach Cpl. Jason Gleason stated that Barber’s body was found by a passerby.
Cpl. Gleason said that police believe that Barber drowned, and a medical examiner will perform an autopsy on Barber to determine the official cause of death.
According to the report, swimming was prohibited on Saturday due to hazardous conditions. It was also reported by police that a second swimmer drowned just off the Panama Beach City coast on Saturday.
“The Auburn basketball program is deeply saddened to lose one its great players in Korvotney ‘Vot’ Barber,” Auburn head coach Tony Barbee said in a statement released by the school. “I was fortunate enough to meet Vot just last week when he stopped by my office to introduce himself to me. What an impressive guy. Our prayers are with his family and loved ones.”
Barber, who has played his entire professional career overseas, averaged 13.2 points and 7.4 rebounds per game for the Lugano Tigers in Switzerland this past season.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- You Make The Call: Did Marcus Paige get fouled on North Carolina’s last possession? (17)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Big Ten looking into idea of making freshmen ineligible for competition in football, men’s basketball (11)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (11)