Jul 21, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Jay Knuth of Johnston High School in Des Moines, IA wasn’t about to break the mold.
His father played football at Iowa State.
His mother played basketball at Drake.
His two older sisters played volleyball at Iowa State.
Growing up around four Division 1 athletes, Knuth was destined for the Division 1 level, as well.
According to the Des Moines Register, Knuth, a rising senior at Johnson, plans to basketball at Loyola Chicago beginning in the 2014-15 season.
Along with Loyola, Knuth also received interest from Albany, Drake, and North Dakota State among others.
En route to earning third team all-state honors by the Des Moines Sunday Register, the 6-foot-6 center (unless he hits a significant growth spurt, Knuth would project to play forward for Loyola) averaged 15.8 points and 6.8 rebounds per game.
The recruiting website ny2lasports.com had this to say about Knuth when previewing the Next Level Invitational:
Knuth is a gifted athlete with the ability to score the basketball at various levels. Knuth can knock down perimeter shots with a good release and good consistency, but is also capable scoring from inside the paint and around the post. His length, athleticism and basketball nature make him an asset defensively also.
Said Knuth: “I was always interested in it. Basketball always was something I loved and always wanted to be a part of…It’s a great opportunity to get your education paid for.”
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)