Jul 21, 2013, 2:25 PM EDT
The final Division 1 head coaching vacancy has been filled as East Carolina assistant coach Tim Craft is set to become the head coach at Gardner-Webb, as reported by ESPN’s Jeff Goodman:
Chris Holtmann had been at the helm at Gardner-Webb for three seasons, and led the Runnin’ Bulldogs to their first 20-win season this past year since 2001-02. Holtmann left Gardner-Webb to become an assistant coach at Butler for Brandon Miller.
With practices set to begin in just over two months, Craft will have to hit the ground running, but fortunately he will be familiar with Gardner-Webb having been an assistant with them from 2004-07. During that time, he helped guide Gardner-Webb to the 2004-05 Big South regular season championship (Gardner-Webb is now in the Atlantic Sun), and helped assemble a top 50 national recruiting class in 2006 (No. 49 by hoopscooponline.com).
Craft will return to Boiling Springs, NC from East Carolina, where he has been the assistant coach for three seasons (2010-13). Prior to East Carolina, he was the Director of Basketball Operations at Auburn, and eventually worked his way up to assistant coach with the Tigers.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 1
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 6
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 5
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ (6)