Jul 22, 2013, 11:13 AM EST
Isaac Hamilton, the No. 14 player in the country in the Class of 2013 according to Rivals, has asked out of his Letter of Intent.
Because instead of enrolling at UTEP this fall, Hamilton reportedly wants to play at USC.
As Raphielle Johnson wrote yesterday, this is yet another reminder of why it’s silly for an elite recruit to sign a letter of intent. And rest assured, Hamilton is an elite recruit, particularly when it comes to UTEP, who plays in a Conference USA that will become even more watered down next season when Memphis leaves for the AAC.
But it’s also an example of precisely why the Letter of Intent was created in the first place.
Floyd did the recruiting dirty work to earn Hamilton’s commitment. He built the 2013-2014 season around the idea that he would be bringing in this five-star, top 15 wing, and he scheduled his recruiting efforts in April and through two weeks in July with the notion that the Miners’ shooting guard spot would be set for at least one year.
And now, all of a sudden, Hamilton wants out.
If I were Tim Floyd, I’d be pissed, too.
And if I were Tim Floyd, I’d probably do everything I can to avoid having to release Hamilton. I’m vindictive and I would take pleasure is getting some measure of revenge.
But that doesn’t mean it’s the right thing for Floyd to do, either. He looks like a bitter ex-boyfriend that just got dumped, and in retaliation went and keyed his name into his ex’s car and slashed her tires. That may feel good in the moment, but it’s not exactly the best way to convince future recruits to enroll. Hamilton’s plan to try and win his appeal with the National Letter of Intent Steering Committee is to make public the fact that he’s transferring closer to home to be with his sick grandmother. He texted SNY.tv “Right now I’m not really looking into schools. Just been out here taking care of my grandma.”
There’s literally nothing positive that can come out of the decision to withhold Hamilton’s release.
Keno Davis did it back in 2010 to Joseph Young when Young wanted to go to Houston after signing an NLI with Providence. Davis last three years with the Friars before getting axed.
Let it go, Tim.
Your program will be better off.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)