Jul 22, 2013, 8:35 PM EDT
Tony Bennett and Virginia are looking for a big season this year. The Cavaliers add transfer Anthony Gill and two three-star recruits in Devon Hall and London Perrantes, while they’ll have to replace Taylor Barnette’s shooting and hope for a speedy recovery for Akil Mitchell’s broken hand.
They added to their schedule on Monday.
Virginia is bringing in a mid-major opponent in Navy this season, according to Midshipman play-by-play man Pete Medhurst.
Navy plays at UVA as party of its 2013-14 Hoops slate. Teams have not played since 1974. #GoNavy
— Pete Medhurst (@PeteMedhurst) July 22, 2013
The two teams last played in 1974, a 91-72 home win for the Cavaliers in front of 7,804 fans. Virginia finished that season 11-16 while Navy went 9-13.
Navy finished last season 8-23, falling to Bucknell in the Patriot League quarterfinals, while Virginia went 23-12, falling to Iowa in the NIT.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 3
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 0
- Oregon’s big win over No. 3 Arizona caps impressive regular season turnaround 1
- No. 8 Kansas loses, but The Andrew Wiggins Show is what’s important 1
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league 5
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy (6)
- Bracketology: Eight teams in play for No. 1 seeds (6)