Jul 22, 2013, 8:35 PM EDT
Tony Bennett and Virginia are looking for a big season this year. The Cavaliers add transfer Anthony Gill and two three-star recruits in Devon Hall and London Perrantes, while they’ll have to replace Taylor Barnette’s shooting and hope for a speedy recovery for Akil Mitchell’s broken hand.
They added to their schedule on Monday.
Virginia is bringing in a mid-major opponent in Navy this season, according to Midshipman play-by-play man Pete Medhurst.
Navy plays at UVA as party of its 2013-14 Hoops slate. Teams have not played since 1974. #GoNavy
— Pete Medhurst (@PeteMedhurst) July 22, 2013
The two teams last played in 1974, a 91-72 home win for the Cavaliers in front of 7,804 fans. Virginia finished that season 11-16 while Navy went 9-13.
Navy finished last season 8-23, falling to Bucknell in the Patriot League quarterfinals, while Virginia went 23-12, falling to Iowa in the NIT.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)