Jul 22, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Well-traveled JuCo standout Chris Thomas is no longer going to attend Manhattan and is instead headed to Marshall to play his college ball, according to a report from Jon Rothstein, who spent the day at Manhattan’s practice.
Thomas’ status had been up in the air at Manhattan. He’s got a long history of academic issues and was violated his conditional released stemming from driving an unregistered vehicle without a license when he tested positive for marijuana. He was in jail during Chipola Junior College’s trip to the JuCo National tournament.
“We have to make some decisions as a program, is that something that we want to move forward with and that type of thing,” Manhattan head coach Steve Masiello told NYBuckets.com back in June. “We’re going to evaluate that a little more and probably make a decision in the next couple days.”
Thomas’ hoops career has been a whirlwind. He started out at a high school in Denver, but never played for them. He then transferred to Princeton Day Academy (MD) before planning on enrolling at Westwind Prep (AZ). He never made it to Westwind, however, instead enrolling at South Kent in 2011-2012. But in January of 2012, Thomas left South Kent as a 19 year old junior and enrolled at Chipola. His transcript was a such a mess at that point that it seemed unlikely he would get eligible, so he spent a semester at Chipola earning his GED before playing and taking classes this past season.
Last April, Thomas committed to Xavier, but he decommitted from the program in September because he reportedly wanted to go through the recruiting process like his teammates.
Marshall has taken chances on talented but troubled players before. Most notably, they former Louisville commit and top 50 recruit Justin Coleman, whose time at Marshall ended when he whipped out his cell phone on the bench during a game.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 1
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)