Jul 22, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
Russdiculous is going international.
A preseason all-american and the leading scorer for the reigning national champs, Russ Smith has been named a member of the East Coast All-Stars, a 12-man team that left for Estonia to play in a tournament called the Four Nations Cup.
The team practiced over the weekend at Fordham before leaving. It’s coached by Guy Rancourt, who is the head coach at Division III Lycoming. The rest of the roster is as follows: Kadeem Batts (Providence), Rakeem Christmas (Syracuse), Mike Gbinije (Syracuse), Eron Harris (West Virginia), Phillip Nolan (Connecticut), Tom Knight (Notre Dame), Justin Miller (Lycoming), Michael Rudy (Lycoming), Tate Unruh (Northern Colorado), Jarrod Uthoff (Iowa) and Jabrille Williams (Binghamton).
The trip isn’t all that important, except for the fact that Smith missed out on a chance to receive his national championship ring on Monday:
He also won’t be in attendance as the Cardinals make a trip to the White House on Tuesday, which is actually a national tragedy: we won’t get a chance to see what happens when Russ Smith meets President Obama.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)
- NCAA approves waiver to allow player with terminal cancer to play (1)