Jul 22, 2013, 5:55 PM EDT
It’s a safe bet that Rutgers would like actual athletic competition to begin.
First, the Mike Rice scandal. Then he’s fired. Then his boss, former Athletic Director Tim Pernetti, resigned. The it turns out his replacement, Julie Hermann, allegedly has a history of player abuse stemming from her days as volleyball coach at Tennessee.
After a tumultuous summer, Rutgers released an report Monday calling for the administration to take a more active role in athletics, particularly when it comes to communication between the athletic department and university administrators.
The law firm of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher and Flom (what a name) compiled the report.
In terms of communication, the report calls for better clarification of the requirements for reporting issues to the school’s Board of Governors, as well as better risk management.
“It is crucial that the risks and rewards of the athletics program be managed with extraordinary diligence and care,” the firm wrote in the report.
The firm, hired in May, found that Pernetti and others took the matters against Rice serious enough to get an outside law firm involved to investigate him. However, they said Pernetti fell short when it came to punishing Rice.
“We will continue to do everything we can to ensure that every student is treated with dignity and respect and that our Rutgers community remains a model of diversity, equity, and inclusion,” University President Robert Barchi said Monday in an email sent to faculty and staff.
It’s probably smart for the school to implement these suggestions as quickly as they can, being that they enter the B1G beginning in 2014.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)