Jul 22, 2013, 5:55 PM EDT
It’s a safe bet that Rutgers would like actual athletic competition to begin.
First, the Mike Rice scandal. Then he’s fired. Then his boss, former Athletic Director Tim Pernetti, resigned. The it turns out his replacement, Julie Hermann, allegedly has a history of player abuse stemming from her days as volleyball coach at Tennessee.
After a tumultuous summer, Rutgers released an report Monday calling for the administration to take a more active role in athletics, particularly when it comes to communication between the athletic department and university administrators.
The law firm of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher and Flom (what a name) compiled the report.
In terms of communication, the report calls for better clarification of the requirements for reporting issues to the school’s Board of Governors, as well as better risk management.
“It is crucial that the risks and rewards of the athletics program be managed with extraordinary diligence and care,” the firm wrote in the report.
The firm, hired in May, found that Pernetti and others took the matters against Rice serious enough to get an outside law firm involved to investigate him. However, they said Pernetti fell short when it came to punishing Rice.
“We will continue to do everything we can to ensure that every student is treated with dignity and respect and that our Rutgers community remains a model of diversity, equity, and inclusion,” University President Robert Barchi said Monday in an email sent to faculty and staff.
It’s probably smart for the school to implement these suggestions as quickly as they can, being that they enter the B1G beginning in 2014.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)