Jul 22, 2013, 5:55 PM EST
It’s a safe bet that Rutgers would like actual athletic competition to begin.
First, the Mike Rice scandal. Then he’s fired. Then his boss, former Athletic Director Tim Pernetti, resigned. The it turns out his replacement, Julie Hermann, allegedly has a history of player abuse stemming from her days as volleyball coach at Tennessee.
After a tumultuous summer, Rutgers released an report Monday calling for the administration to take a more active role in athletics, particularly when it comes to communication between the athletic department and university administrators.
The law firm of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher and Flom (what a name) compiled the report.
In terms of communication, the report calls for better clarification of the requirements for reporting issues to the school’s Board of Governors, as well as better risk management.
“It is crucial that the risks and rewards of the athletics program be managed with extraordinary diligence and care,” the firm wrote in the report.
The firm, hired in May, found that Pernetti and others took the matters against Rice serious enough to get an outside law firm involved to investigate him. However, they said Pernetti fell short when it came to punishing Rice.
“We will continue to do everything we can to ensure that every student is treated with dignity and respect and that our Rutgers community remains a model of diversity, equity, and inclusion,” University President Robert Barchi said Monday in an email sent to faculty and staff.
It’s probably smart for the school to implement these suggestions as quickly as they can, being that they enter the B1G beginning in 2014.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)