Jul 22, 2013, 10:28 PM EDT
Two seasons ago, VCU crashed the Final Four as an 11-seed. Since then, coach Shaka Smart has kept the Rams relevant.
With the move to the Atlantic 10, the entire athletic program is trying to take itself further, this time with the introduction by Athletic Director Ed McLaughlin’s five-year plan, which he calls “VCU Rising: The Black and Gold Standard.”
The plan includes eight themes: strengthening VCU’s Division I position; enriching the student-athlete experience; expecting academic success; providing championship quality facilities; growing athletics revenues; sustaining fiscal responsibility; embracing equity and diversity; and constructing an optimal Division I infrastructure.
The goal appears to be $14-$16 million in gifts in order to build a new basketball practice facility, which McLaughlin said the program hopes to have by the end of the summer. One of the goals is also to expand the Siegel Center, which has sold out 35 straight games and is considered one of the top mid-major atmospheres in the country. McLaughlin said the department can do it, while still maintaining the arena’s reputation of being, well, incredibly raucous.
“(Capacity) could be 9,000,” he said. “It could be 10,000. It could be 12,000.”
Part of me wonders why the VCU athletic department waited on this. It’s been over two years, and while Shaka Smart has done a great job of maintaining the program’s success — and shown that he is committed to the Rams — you can’t help but wonder why they didn’t start this earlier. Possibly back in 2011 when the VCU name was at its hottest.
The $14-$16 million in gifts is going to be tough to get, but VCU is a public university with an enrollment of over 30,000 students. That’s a lot of alumni. And some of the funds have already been secured. Plus Richmond and the surrounding area (not to mention Washington D.C. as a neighbor about two hours away) has a lot of wealth to pass around.
Also, can you imagine a 12,000-seat Siegel Center? As loud as it is now….
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)