Jul 23, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
We can add another early-season event to our calendars this season thanks to a report from Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com.
On December 21st, four preseason top 25 teams will be headed to the MGM Grand in Las Vegas to partake in a double-header that could end up featuring the champions of four of the biggest conferences in the country.
Per Borzello, Marquette will be taking on New Mexico, which will be followed up by Colorado squaring off with Oklahoma State.
Marquette is always a scrappy team that plays above their talent level, and even without Vander Blue, the Golden Eagles will have one of their most talented teams in Buzz Williams’ tenure while New Mexico returns pretty much everyone except Tony Snell from last year’s MWC title winning team.
In the nightcap, Marcus Smart will lead the Pokes up against a Colorado team that should be as good as the program has ever been. Seeing Spencer Dinwiddie square off with a National Player of the Year candidate will be fun.
There will be an official announcement on Wednesday.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Skal Labissiere, Reach Your Dreams Prep and why this isn’t as scuzzy as it sounds 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 9 Gonzaga Bulldogs 2
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)