Jul 23, 2013, 11:20 AM EST
We can add another early-season event to our calendars this season thanks to a report from Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com.
On December 21st, four preseason top 25 teams will be headed to the MGM Grand in Las Vegas to partake in a double-header that could end up featuring the champions of four of the biggest conferences in the country.
Per Borzello, Marquette will be taking on New Mexico, which will be followed up by Colorado squaring off with Oklahoma State.
Marquette is always a scrappy team that plays above their talent level, and even without Vander Blue, the Golden Eagles will have one of their most talented teams in Buzz Williams’ tenure while New Mexico returns pretty much everyone except Tony Snell from last year’s MWC title winning team.
In the nightcap, Marcus Smart will lead the Pokes up against a Colorado team that should be as good as the program has ever been. Seeing Spencer Dinwiddie square off with a National Player of the Year candidate will be fun.
There will be an official announcement on Wednesday.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)