Jul 23, 2013, 11:20 AM EST
We can add another early-season event to our calendars this season thanks to a report from Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com.
On December 21st, four preseason top 25 teams will be headed to the MGM Grand in Las Vegas to partake in a double-header that could end up featuring the champions of four of the biggest conferences in the country.
Per Borzello, Marquette will be taking on New Mexico, which will be followed up by Colorado squaring off with Oklahoma State.
Marquette is always a scrappy team that plays above their talent level, and even without Vander Blue, the Golden Eagles will have one of their most talented teams in Buzz Williams’ tenure while New Mexico returns pretty much everyone except Tony Snell from last year’s MWC title winning team.
In the nightcap, Marcus Smart will lead the Pokes up against a Colorado team that should be as good as the program has ever been. Seeing Spencer Dinwiddie square off with a National Player of the Year candidate will be fun.
There will be an official announcement on Wednesday.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 0
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 0
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 1
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 5 Oklahoma State’s win over Purdue exemplifies issues with new foul rules (3)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)