Jul 23, 2013, 11:20 AM EST
We can add another early-season event to our calendars this season thanks to a report from Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com.
On December 21st, four preseason top 25 teams will be headed to the MGM Grand in Las Vegas to partake in a double-header that could end up featuring the champions of four of the biggest conferences in the country.
Per Borzello, Marquette will be taking on New Mexico, which will be followed up by Colorado squaring off with Oklahoma State.
Marquette is always a scrappy team that plays above their talent level, and even without Vander Blue, the Golden Eagles will have one of their most talented teams in Buzz Williams’ tenure while New Mexico returns pretty much everyone except Tony Snell from last year’s MWC title winning team.
In the nightcap, Marcus Smart will lead the Pokes up against a Colorado team that should be as good as the program has ever been. Seeing Spencer Dinwiddie square off with a National Player of the Year candidate will be fun.
There will be an official announcement on Wednesday.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)