Jul 23, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
We can add another early-season event to our calendars this season thanks to a report from Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com.
On December 21st, four preseason top 25 teams will be headed to the MGM Grand in Las Vegas to partake in a double-header that could end up featuring the champions of four of the biggest conferences in the country.
Per Borzello, Marquette will be taking on New Mexico, which will be followed up by Colorado squaring off with Oklahoma State.
Marquette is always a scrappy team that plays above their talent level, and even without Vander Blue, the Golden Eagles will have one of their most talented teams in Buzz Williams’ tenure while New Mexico returns pretty much everyone except Tony Snell from last year’s MWC title winning team.
In the nightcap, Marcus Smart will lead the Pokes up against a Colorado team that should be as good as the program has ever been. Seeing Spencer Dinwiddie square off with a National Player of the Year candidate will be fun.
There will be an official announcement on Wednesday.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)