Jul 23, 2013, 10:44 AM EDT
The Crossroads Classic, which allows Indiana’s four best basketball programs to square off in a double-header at Banker’s Life Fieldhouse (where the Pacers play), has been extended through the 2016 season.
Originally scheduled for just two years, this season will mark the third installment of The Crossroads Classic. The ADs at Butler, Purdue, Indiana and Notre Dame sent out a release on Monday announcing that the contract for the event had been extended for two more years.
“I think I speak for my three colleagues when I say that while we envisioned the Crossroads Classic being a success, its popularity the first two years has exceeded our expectations,” Morgan Burke, Purdue’s AD, said. “As a result, it was an easy decision to once again extend the agreement. We have a great partnership with Bankers Life Fieldhouse and our television partners and hope this budding holiday tradition continues to grow.”
This season, the games will be played on Dec. 14th, as Notre Dame takes on Indiana at 3:15 p.m. (ESPN) and Purdue matches up with Butler at 6 p.m. (BTN). In 2014, the matchups will be Purdue vs. Notre Dame and Butler vs. Indiana, with 2015 featuring the same games as 2013 while 2016 will repeat the 2014 matchups.
Last season’s Crossroads Classic ended in thrilling fashion, as Alex Barlow led Butler to a win over then-No. 1 Indiana with a bucket in overtime.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)