Jul 23, 2013, 10:44 AM EDT
The Crossroads Classic, which allows Indiana’s four best basketball programs to square off in a double-header at Banker’s Life Fieldhouse (where the Pacers play), has been extended through the 2016 season.
Originally scheduled for just two years, this season will mark the third installment of The Crossroads Classic. The ADs at Butler, Purdue, Indiana and Notre Dame sent out a release on Monday announcing that the contract for the event had been extended for two more years.
“I think I speak for my three colleagues when I say that while we envisioned the Crossroads Classic being a success, its popularity the first two years has exceeded our expectations,” Morgan Burke, Purdue’s AD, said. “As a result, it was an easy decision to once again extend the agreement. We have a great partnership with Bankers Life Fieldhouse and our television partners and hope this budding holiday tradition continues to grow.”
This season, the games will be played on Dec. 14th, as Notre Dame takes on Indiana at 3:15 p.m. (ESPN) and Purdue matches up with Butler at 6 p.m. (BTN). In 2014, the matchups will be Purdue vs. Notre Dame and Butler vs. Indiana, with 2015 featuring the same games as 2013 while 2016 will repeat the 2014 matchups.
Last season’s Crossroads Classic ended in thrilling fashion, as Alex Barlow led Butler to a win over then-No. 1 Indiana with a bucket in overtime.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)