Jul 23, 2013, 10:44 AM EDT
The Crossroads Classic, which allows Indiana’s four best basketball programs to square off in a double-header at Banker’s Life Fieldhouse (where the Pacers play), has been extended through the 2016 season.
Originally scheduled for just two years, this season will mark the third installment of The Crossroads Classic. The ADs at Butler, Purdue, Indiana and Notre Dame sent out a release on Monday announcing that the contract for the event had been extended for two more years.
“I think I speak for my three colleagues when I say that while we envisioned the Crossroads Classic being a success, its popularity the first two years has exceeded our expectations,” Morgan Burke, Purdue’s AD, said. “As a result, it was an easy decision to once again extend the agreement. We have a great partnership with Bankers Life Fieldhouse and our television partners and hope this budding holiday tradition continues to grow.”
This season, the games will be played on Dec. 14th, as Notre Dame takes on Indiana at 3:15 p.m. (ESPN) and Purdue matches up with Butler at 6 p.m. (BTN). In 2014, the matchups will be Purdue vs. Notre Dame and Butler vs. Indiana, with 2015 featuring the same games as 2013 while 2016 will repeat the 2014 matchups.
Last season’s Crossroads Classic ended in thrilling fashion, as Alex Barlow led Butler to a win over then-No. 1 Indiana with a bucket in overtime.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)