Jul 23, 2013, 10:44 AM EST
The Crossroads Classic, which allows Indiana’s four best basketball programs to square off in a double-header at Banker’s Life Fieldhouse (where the Pacers play), has been extended through the 2016 season.
Originally scheduled for just two years, this season will mark the third installment of The Crossroads Classic. The ADs at Butler, Purdue, Indiana and Notre Dame sent out a release on Monday announcing that the contract for the event had been extended for two more years.
“I think I speak for my three colleagues when I say that while we envisioned the Crossroads Classic being a success, its popularity the first two years has exceeded our expectations,” Morgan Burke, Purdue’s AD, said. “As a result, it was an easy decision to once again extend the agreement. We have a great partnership with Bankers Life Fieldhouse and our television partners and hope this budding holiday tradition continues to grow.”
This season, the games will be played on Dec. 14th, as Notre Dame takes on Indiana at 3:15 p.m. (ESPN) and Purdue matches up with Butler at 6 p.m. (BTN). In 2014, the matchups will be Purdue vs. Notre Dame and Butler vs. Indiana, with 2015 featuring the same games as 2013 while 2016 will repeat the 2014 matchups.
Last season’s Crossroads Classic ended in thrilling fashion, as Alex Barlow led Butler to a win over then-No. 1 Indiana with a bucket in overtime.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 0
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 2
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)