Jul 23, 2013, 10:44 AM EST
The Crossroads Classic, which allows Indiana’s four best basketball programs to square off in a double-header at Banker’s Life Fieldhouse (where the Pacers play), has been extended through the 2016 season.
Originally scheduled for just two years, this season will mark the third installment of The Crossroads Classic. The ADs at Butler, Purdue, Indiana and Notre Dame sent out a release on Monday announcing that the contract for the event had been extended for two more years.
“I think I speak for my three colleagues when I say that while we envisioned the Crossroads Classic being a success, its popularity the first two years has exceeded our expectations,” Morgan Burke, Purdue’s AD, said. “As a result, it was an easy decision to once again extend the agreement. We have a great partnership with Bankers Life Fieldhouse and our television partners and hope this budding holiday tradition continues to grow.”
This season, the games will be played on Dec. 14th, as Notre Dame takes on Indiana at 3:15 p.m. (ESPN) and Purdue matches up with Butler at 6 p.m. (BTN). In 2014, the matchups will be Purdue vs. Notre Dame and Butler vs. Indiana, with 2015 featuring the same games as 2013 while 2016 will repeat the 2014 matchups.
Last season’s Crossroads Classic ended in thrilling fashion, as Alex Barlow led Butler to a win over then-No. 1 Indiana with a bucket in overtime.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who will be the next undefeated team to lose? 1
- Texas hangs on to beat No. 14 North Carolina in Chapel Hill 3
- The Chase for 180: Nic Moore’s hot start 0
- Leslie McDonald has been cleared, while reports say P.J. Hairston unlikely to play this season 6
- Memphis loss shouldn’t feed narrative about Josh Pastner, big games 0
- Report: Former North Carolina guard Will Graves arrested on drug charges at home owned by head coach Roy Williams (20)
- Kentucky is a flawed team, but does that mean they can’t contend? (12)
- WATCH: Southern Illinois coach Barry Hinson unloads in press conference (8)
- Leslie McDonald has been cleared, while reports say P.J. Hairston unlikely to play this season (6)
- Weekend Preview: Iowa-Iowa State highlights a rivalry-heavy weekend slate (5)