Jul 24, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
The fight against cancer has received quite the boost from college basketball over the years, from the Jimmy V Classic to Coaches vs. Cancer’s many fundraising projects including its “Suits and Sneakers” weekend during the regular season.
On Wednesday it was announced that there will be a doubleheader at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on December 21, with the National Association of Basketball Coaches and American Cancer Society collaborating on the event.
The two games on that Saturday will feature four teams expected by many to at the very least reach the NCAA tournament, with Marquette taking on New Mexico and former Big 12 foes Oklahoma State and Colorado meeting in the nightcap.
All four programs reached the NCAA tournament last season, with Buzz Williams’ Golden Eagles being the lone team to advance to the second weekend. Marquette lost to former Big East rival Syracuse (they’re now in the ACC) in the Elite 8.
The battle between the Golden Eagles and Lobos matches two programs that won at least a share of their respective regular season conference titles last season, with New Mexico winning both the regular season and tournament titles in the Mountain West.
As for the Cowboys and Buffaloes, both are expected to be contenders in the Big 12 and Pac-12 respectively, and the point guard matchup between Marcus Smart (Oklahoma State) and Spencer Dinwiddie (Colorado) has the potential to be one of the best on the college basketball schedule this coming season.
“Many thanks to MGM Grand for its commitment to helping us launch this annual event benefitting a cause that college basketball passionately supports,” said Brooks Downing, president of event promoter bd Global Sports said in the release. “With four of the nation’s top teams for next season, it will definitely have a March Madness atmosphere that day at MGM Grand.”
In addition to the newly formed MGM Grand Showcase, MGM Grand Garden Arena also hosts the Pac-12 tournament in March.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 0
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)