Jul 24, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
The fight against cancer has received quite the boost from college basketball over the years, from the Jimmy V Classic to Coaches vs. Cancer’s many fundraising projects including its “Suits and Sneakers” weekend during the regular season.
On Wednesday it was announced that there will be a doubleheader at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on December 21, with the National Association of Basketball Coaches and American Cancer Society collaborating on the event.
The two games on that Saturday will feature four teams expected by many to at the very least reach the NCAA tournament, with Marquette taking on New Mexico and former Big 12 foes Oklahoma State and Colorado meeting in the nightcap.
All four programs reached the NCAA tournament last season, with Buzz Williams’ Golden Eagles being the lone team to advance to the second weekend. Marquette lost to former Big East rival Syracuse (they’re now in the ACC) in the Elite 8.
The battle between the Golden Eagles and Lobos matches two programs that won at least a share of their respective regular season conference titles last season, with New Mexico winning both the regular season and tournament titles in the Mountain West.
As for the Cowboys and Buffaloes, both are expected to be contenders in the Big 12 and Pac-12 respectively, and the point guard matchup between Marcus Smart (Oklahoma State) and Spencer Dinwiddie (Colorado) has the potential to be one of the best on the college basketball schedule this coming season.
“Many thanks to MGM Grand for its commitment to helping us launch this annual event benefitting a cause that college basketball passionately supports,” said Brooks Downing, president of event promoter bd Global Sports said in the release. “With four of the nation’s top teams for next season, it will definitely have a March Madness atmosphere that day at MGM Grand.”
In addition to the newly formed MGM Grand Showcase, MGM Grand Garden Arena also hosts the Pac-12 tournament in March.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)