Jul 24, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
Kansas freshman Brannen Greene is due in court on August 7th after being cited for hit and run on a vehicle, according to a report from Ian Cummings of KUSports.com.
Greene was cited for leaving the scene of an accident involving property damage and failure to report an accident on July 17th for an incident that occurred on the morning of July 13th, which would be a Saturday. From Cummings:
The accident was reported about 3:20 a.m. on July 13, in the 2000 block of Ousdahl Rd., where an unoccupied 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis was struck while parked in a driveway. The trunk of the car was significantly damaged, according to police. Witnesses could not immediately identify the vehicle that struck the Mercury, but police later determined that it was a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer belonging to a 25-year-old Lawrence man and driven by Greene.
Greene is a Georgia native and the No. 29 recruit in the Class of 2013, according to Rivals. He’s on campus for summer school while working out with the team.
There are two red flags that immediately start waving when I read this incident report. The first is when the incident occurred: 3:20 a.m. on July 13th was the end of a Friday night out. It’s a rare occasion that a college freshman driving at 3:20 a.m. on a Saturday is a good idea.
The other red flag is this: “a 2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer belonging to a 25-year-old Lawrence man.” The reason PJ Hairston is such a big story right now is that he was in a car that was rented for him by someone else. Granted, there’s a big difference between a 2013 GMC Yukon and a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer, but hearing that a college player got in trouble in a car that didn’t belong to him is never a good thing.
KU’s associate AD told Cumming that “there certainly will be discipline, but it will be handled internally.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)