Jul 25, 2013, 7:26 PM EDT
With all five starters from last season’s NCAA tournament team out of eligibility, Colorado State head coach Larry Eustachy was in need of a boost in the depth department.
On Thursday the school announced the addition of former Arkansas-Little Rock guard John Gillon. Gillon averaged 10.6 points and 2.4 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game for the Trojans last season as a freshman.
While Gillon will have to sit out the 2013-14 season per NCAA transfer rules, his addition will help Colorado State down the line.
“We are really excited to add John to our program. He had a very good freshman year at the Division I level,” Eustachy said in the release announcing the addition.
“He is very fast in the open floor and can really put pressure on opposing defenses. John was one of the best guards in the country at drawing fouls and converting foul shots, but on top of his physical abilities he is also a very good student with high character.”
Colorado State has just one senior in its backcourt this season in point guard Jesse Carr, who missed the entire 2012-13 season with a torn ACL. Both Jonathan Octeus (4.7 ppg, 2.6 rpg) and Daniel Bejarano (6.3, 5.5) will be seniors in 2014, giving the Rams two experienced pieces to go along with Gillon.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)