Jul 25, 2013, 7:26 PM EDT
With all five starters from last season’s NCAA tournament team out of eligibility, Colorado State head coach Larry Eustachy was in need of a boost in the depth department.
On Thursday the school announced the addition of former Arkansas-Little Rock guard John Gillon. Gillon averaged 10.6 points and 2.4 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game for the Trojans last season as a freshman.
While Gillon will have to sit out the 2013-14 season per NCAA transfer rules, his addition will help Colorado State down the line.
“We are really excited to add John to our program. He had a very good freshman year at the Division I level,” Eustachy said in the release announcing the addition.
“He is very fast in the open floor and can really put pressure on opposing defenses. John was one of the best guards in the country at drawing fouls and converting foul shots, but on top of his physical abilities he is also a very good student with high character.”
Colorado State has just one senior in its backcourt this season in point guard Jesse Carr, who missed the entire 2012-13 season with a torn ACL. Both Jonathan Octeus (4.7 ppg, 2.6 rpg) and Daniel Bejarano (6.3, 5.5) will be seniors in 2014, giving the Rams two experienced pieces to go along with Gillon.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Throwback Thursday: Which Jim Calhoun rant was the best Jim Calhoun rant? (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)