Jul 25, 2013, 7:26 PM EDT
With all five starters from last season’s NCAA tournament team out of eligibility, Colorado State head coach Larry Eustachy was in need of a boost in the depth department.
On Thursday the school announced the addition of former Arkansas-Little Rock guard John Gillon. Gillon averaged 10.6 points and 2.4 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game for the Trojans last season as a freshman.
While Gillon will have to sit out the 2013-14 season per NCAA transfer rules, his addition will help Colorado State down the line.
“We are really excited to add John to our program. He had a very good freshman year at the Division I level,” Eustachy said in the release announcing the addition.
“He is very fast in the open floor and can really put pressure on opposing defenses. John was one of the best guards in the country at drawing fouls and converting foul shots, but on top of his physical abilities he is also a very good student with high character.”
Colorado State has just one senior in its backcourt this season in point guard Jesse Carr, who missed the entire 2012-13 season with a torn ACL. Both Jonathan Octeus (4.7 ppg, 2.6 rpg) and Daniel Bejarano (6.3, 5.5) will be seniors in 2014, giving the Rams two experienced pieces to go along with Gillon.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)