Jul 25, 2013, 7:26 PM EST
With all five starters from last season’s NCAA tournament team out of eligibility, Colorado State head coach Larry Eustachy was in need of a boost in the depth department.
On Thursday the school announced the addition of former Arkansas-Little Rock guard John Gillon. Gillon averaged 10.6 points and 2.4 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game for the Trojans last season as a freshman.
While Gillon will have to sit out the 2013-14 season per NCAA transfer rules, his addition will help Colorado State down the line.
“We are really excited to add John to our program. He had a very good freshman year at the Division I level,” Eustachy said in the release announcing the addition.
“He is very fast in the open floor and can really put pressure on opposing defenses. John was one of the best guards in the country at drawing fouls and converting foul shots, but on top of his physical abilities he is also a very good student with high character.”
Colorado State has just one senior in its backcourt this season in point guard Jesse Carr, who missed the entire 2012-13 season with a torn ACL. Both Jonathan Octeus (4.7 ppg, 2.6 rpg) and Daniel Bejarano (6.3, 5.5) will be seniors in 2014, giving the Rams two experienced pieces to go along with Gillon.
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)