Jul 25, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
Remember Shane Dillon?
He’s the former quarterback at Colorado, a guy that was recruited to sling the pigskin by some of the biggest football programs in the country, that decided to quit the sport to return to the hardwood. We wrote about him here.
And, according to Matt Norlander, Dillon’s made his decision. He’ll be heading to San Diego.
Dillon made an effort to play on Colorado’s basketball team, but Tad Boyle didn’t have an open scholarship, and playing two sports at the collegiate level is an easy way to destroy an semblance of a social life. You’re not a college kid when you’re in season, and playing football and basketball means you’re always in season.
Before making the choice to leave Colorado, Dillon did approach Buffaloes basketball coach Tad Boyle. The team just didn’t have an open scholarship for him. Between that and the firing of football coach Jon Embree after the end of last season, the choice seemed more of a no-brainer as the months wore on. He told his parents he’d try to do workouts with football in the spring.
“But I knew my heart was somewhere else,” Dillon said.
It always was. During the season, Dillon would sneak in pick-up games late at night, after football practice. And he upped his play on the court during formal intramural play in the spring.
“I probably shouldn’t have played, but I played,” he said. “That was the turning point for me. I looked at myself and said, If I’m sneaking in here and playing these games because I love it, am I really doing what I want to do?”
It will be interesting to see what Dillon turns into in the WCC.
With the likes of Gonzaga, St. Mary’s and BYU in the conference, however, it’s surely going to be better competition than those intramural games.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)