Jul 25, 2013, 12:25 PM EST
Stanford senior Andy Brown will miss the entirety of the 2013-2014 season after suffering a torn ACL in his right knee.
It’s the first time that Brown has torn that ACL, but it’s the fourth time in his career he’s had to deal with the injury, has Brown’s left ACL has been torn three times, twice since 2009. He suffered this injury on Tuesday morning in a team workout.
“Everyone associated with our program is saddened by Andy’s latest injury,” Stanford coach Johnny Dawkins said. “Nobody has worked harder to get back into playing shape, having already experienced three tears and waiting two full years before putting on a uniform. What makes this even more disappointing is Andy had already passed the initial test of getting back on the court. He was a highly-productive player for our team last year and we were fully counting on him to be a key contributor again this season. More importantly, his presence and leadership will be extremely difficult to replace. Andy is a fighter, he will bounce back and has the full support of the Stanford basketball family.”
Brown averaged 6.2 points and 2.8 boards last season for the Cardinal, staring 20 games.
“I just want to thank all of my teammates and coaches during the past four years who have always been there to support and encourage me. I never would have been able to battle back through these injuries without their help. Even though this is a difficult way to end my career, I feel grateful to have been able to wear a Stanford uniform and contribute to such a great program and university.”
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 1
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 9
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 3
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 0
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 1
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (10)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)