Jul 26, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
Less than two weeks after being dismissed from the Auburn program for a violation of team rules, 6-5 guard Shaquille Johnson has reportedly found a new home.
According to Brad Winton of JucoRecruiting.com, Johnson will attend Northwest Florida State and play for new head coach Steve DeMeo in 2013-14.
As a freshman Johnson played 18.6 minutes per game, posting averages of 5.3 points and 3.0 rebounds per contest. An outstanding athlete, Johnson shot 41% from the field but just 27% from beyond the arc.
Johnson’s stint at Auburn came to an end due reportedly to an arrest on charges of possession of marijuana.
“We hold our student-athletes to a high standard at Auburn University in the way that they conduct themselves off the court,” head coach Tony Barbee said in a statement announcing Johnson’s dismissal from the program.
“I am very disappointed in Shaq’s choices and actions, and they won’t be tolerated. This decision is not one that I take lightly, but it is in the best interest of both the program and the student-athlete.”
Led by point guard Chris Jones, who will play at Louisville this season, Northwest Florida State was one of the best junior college programs in the country under head coach Steve Forbes. Forbes has since joined Gregg Marshall’s staff at Wichita State, with DeMeo being hired to be his replacement.
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason (3)