Jul 26, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
Less than two weeks after being dismissed from the Auburn program for a violation of team rules, 6-5 guard Shaquille Johnson has reportedly found a new home.
According to Brad Winton of JucoRecruiting.com, Johnson will attend Northwest Florida State and play for new head coach Steve DeMeo in 2013-14.
As a freshman Johnson played 18.6 minutes per game, posting averages of 5.3 points and 3.0 rebounds per contest. An outstanding athlete, Johnson shot 41% from the field but just 27% from beyond the arc.
Johnson’s stint at Auburn came to an end due reportedly to an arrest on charges of possession of marijuana.
“We hold our student-athletes to a high standard at Auburn University in the way that they conduct themselves off the court,” head coach Tony Barbee said in a statement announcing Johnson’s dismissal from the program.
“I am very disappointed in Shaq’s choices and actions, and they won’t be tolerated. This decision is not one that I take lightly, but it is in the best interest of both the program and the student-athlete.”
Led by point guard Chris Jones, who will play at Louisville this season, Northwest Florida State was one of the best junior college programs in the country under head coach Steve Forbes. Forbes has since joined Gregg Marshall’s staff at Wichita State, with DeMeo being hired to be his replacement.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)