Jul 26, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
Less than two weeks after being dismissed from the Auburn program for a violation of team rules, 6-5 guard Shaquille Johnson has reportedly found a new home.
According to Brad Winton of JucoRecruiting.com, Johnson will attend Northwest Florida State and play for new head coach Steve DeMeo in 2013-14.
As a freshman Johnson played 18.6 minutes per game, posting averages of 5.3 points and 3.0 rebounds per contest. An outstanding athlete, Johnson shot 41% from the field but just 27% from beyond the arc.
Johnson’s stint at Auburn came to an end due reportedly to an arrest on charges of possession of marijuana.
“We hold our student-athletes to a high standard at Auburn University in the way that they conduct themselves off the court,” head coach Tony Barbee said in a statement announcing Johnson’s dismissal from the program.
“I am very disappointed in Shaq’s choices and actions, and they won’t be tolerated. This decision is not one that I take lightly, but it is in the best interest of both the program and the student-athlete.”
Led by point guard Chris Jones, who will play at Louisville this season, Northwest Florida State was one of the best junior college programs in the country under head coach Steve Forbes. Forbes has since joined Gregg Marshall’s staff at Wichita State, with DeMeo being hired to be his replacement.
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 7
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 4
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)