Jul 26, 2013, 7:55 PM EST
Less than two weeks after being dismissed from the Auburn program for a violation of team rules, 6-5 guard Shaquille Johnson has reportedly found a new home.
According to Brad Winton of JucoRecruiting.com, Johnson will attend Northwest Florida State and play for new head coach Steve DeMeo in 2013-14.
As a freshman Johnson played 18.6 minutes per game, posting averages of 5.3 points and 3.0 rebounds per contest. An outstanding athlete, Johnson shot 41% from the field but just 27% from beyond the arc.
Johnson’s stint at Auburn came to an end due reportedly to an arrest on charges of possession of marijuana.
“We hold our student-athletes to a high standard at Auburn University in the way that they conduct themselves off the court,” head coach Tony Barbee said in a statement announcing Johnson’s dismissal from the program.
“I am very disappointed in Shaq’s choices and actions, and they won’t be tolerated. This decision is not one that I take lightly, but it is in the best interest of both the program and the student-athlete.”
Led by point guard Chris Jones, who will play at Louisville this season, Northwest Florida State was one of the best junior college programs in the country under head coach Steve Forbes. Forbes has since joined Gregg Marshall’s staff at Wichita State, with DeMeo being hired to be his replacement.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)