Jul 26, 2013, 7:00 PM EST
Loyola (Chicago) head coach Porter Moser has won just 22 games in two seasons at the school, but the Ramblers did manage to increase their win total by eight games in 2012-13 (15-16 record). Of their 16 losses seven were by three points or less, and having such issues in close games tends to be the case for many young programs.
The hope for Loyola is that their young players will be better equipped to handle such situations in 2013-14. The upcoming season will also present a new challenge for Loyola basketball, as the school has moved from the Horizon League to the Missouri Valley Conference.
The improvement seen on the court hasn’t gone unnoticed by the Loyola administration, and on Friday the school announced that Moser has received a contract extension through the 2017-18 campaign.
“Under the direction of Coach Moser, our men’s basketball program has come a long way in a short period of time,” Vice President and Director of Athletics Dr. M. Grace Calhoun said in the release. “Both on and off the court, Coach Moser is a leader in every sense of the word and extending his contract affirms our faith in his ability to help the Rambler men’s basketball program reach new heights.
“We look forward to having him lead us into a new chapter in the storied history of Loyola basketball as we build on the momentum of last year and begin competition in the Missouri Valley Conference this season.”
The Ramblers welcome back guard Devon Turk (8.7 ppg) and forward Christian Thomas (12.1 ppg, 6.5 rpg) from last year’s squad, and they also add five newcomers with three having redshirted last season. How well Loyola performs this season will depend primarily upon how much their returnees have matured, with the way in which they adjust to a new conference also playing a role.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 2
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 2
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 1
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)