Jul 26, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
It sounds like Andy Kennedy took my advice.
When Marshall Henderson was suspended indefinitely by Ole Miss a couple of week ago, I wrote that it wouldn’t be right if Kennedy gave Henderson the boot. I said that there was more going on here than the simple fact that Henderson was a trouble maker that enjoyed an adult beverage too often and spent too much time participating in White Girl Wednesday.
I still believe that.
The fact that Ole Miss called in Chris Herren supports that fact.
Which is why I’m glad to hear that Kennedy hasn’t yet kicked Henderson off of the Ole Miss team.
Ole Miss coach Andy Kennedy, appearing on our ESPNU Katz Korner special Thursday night, still hasn’t ruled out a return for Marshall Henderson. Henderson is suspended after a violation of team rules (ESPN and media reports cited a failed drug test). But there doesn’t seem to be any indication that Henderson has played his last game for the Rebels. If Henderson can stay straight and behave over the next few months, as well as handle all of his requirements that are being placed on him, then don’t be surprised at all if he returns to the Rebels in some form next season. That doesn’t mean he wouldn’t have any kind of game suspension. But I didn’t get the idea that Henderson is done playing for the Rebels — yet.
Henderson needs to be punished. He needs ramifications for his actions. He needs to learn that he isn’t above the law and that breaking rules will cost him. He needs to know that being good at basketball isn’t going to save him anymore.
But he also needs a to try and get better. Think about it like this: he tested positive for cocaine back in early 2012, when he violated probation and was sent to prison for 25 days. He was pulled over in May of this year with cocaine in his car. He tweets about White Girl Wednesday all the time, which has a totally different meaning when you think of it from this perspective.
Henderson needs to get his act together, and the possibility of continuing his hoops career if he cleans up may be the incentive he needs to do just that.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)