Jul 26, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
It sounds like Andy Kennedy took my advice.
When Marshall Henderson was suspended indefinitely by Ole Miss a couple of week ago, I wrote that it wouldn’t be right if Kennedy gave Henderson the boot. I said that there was more going on here than the simple fact that Henderson was a trouble maker that enjoyed an adult beverage too often and spent too much time participating in White Girl Wednesday.
I still believe that.
The fact that Ole Miss called in Chris Herren supports that fact.
Which is why I’m glad to hear that Kennedy hasn’t yet kicked Henderson off of the Ole Miss team.
Ole Miss coach Andy Kennedy, appearing on our ESPNU Katz Korner special Thursday night, still hasn’t ruled out a return for Marshall Henderson. Henderson is suspended after a violation of team rules (ESPN and media reports cited a failed drug test). But there doesn’t seem to be any indication that Henderson has played his last game for the Rebels. If Henderson can stay straight and behave over the next few months, as well as handle all of his requirements that are being placed on him, then don’t be surprised at all if he returns to the Rebels in some form next season. That doesn’t mean he wouldn’t have any kind of game suspension. But I didn’t get the idea that Henderson is done playing for the Rebels — yet.
Henderson needs to be punished. He needs ramifications for his actions. He needs to learn that he isn’t above the law and that breaking rules will cost him. He needs to know that being good at basketball isn’t going to save him anymore.
But he also needs a to try and get better. Think about it like this: he tested positive for cocaine back in early 2012, when he violated probation and was sent to prison for 25 days. He was pulled over in May of this year with cocaine in his car. He tweets about White Girl Wednesday all the time, which has a totally different meaning when you think of it from this perspective.
Henderson needs to get his act together, and the possibility of continuing his hoops career if he cleans up may be the incentive he needs to do just that.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)