Jul 27, 2013, 9:41 PM EDT
That’s quite a statement for a group of 16 and 17 year old basketball players to make.
“There was no negativity that I was aware of. Everything I got was positive,” Game Elite coach Ryan Falker told the Dagger. “The biggest point we were trying to make, and the kids understand this, is that could have easily been them. Even the caucasian player I have on my team, he wore it proudly. It could have easily been him. It could have been any child of any ethnicity. That’s why they wanted to represent this young man of their generation.”
The most interesting part?
Game Elite has one white player on their 12 man roster. He wore the t-shirt as well.
“Whether you’re white or black or Hispanic, it’s their generation,” said Falker of his team, which is comprised of 11 African-American players and one white player, Alex Bearup. “Trayvon Martin, he looks just like them. He was a 17-year-old kid. These kids are 16 and 17. They identify and say, ‘This could have easily been me.'”
Said Bearup, a 2014 player from Alpharetta, Ga., “If they want to support it, I support the cause with them. We talked in that hotel room, we were shocked and discussed how we really felt about it. It could be anyone.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)