Jul 27, 2013, 9:41 PM EDT
That’s quite a statement for a group of 16 and 17 year old basketball players to make.
“There was no negativity that I was aware of. Everything I got was positive,” Game Elite coach Ryan Falker told the Dagger. “The biggest point we were trying to make, and the kids understand this, is that could have easily been them. Even the caucasian player I have on my team, he wore it proudly. It could have easily been him. It could have been any child of any ethnicity. That’s why they wanted to represent this young man of their generation.”
The most interesting part?
Game Elite has one white player on their 12 man roster. He wore the t-shirt as well.
“Whether you’re white or black or Hispanic, it’s their generation,” said Falker of his team, which is comprised of 11 African-American players and one white player, Alex Bearup. “Trayvon Martin, he looks just like them. He was a 17-year-old kid. These kids are 16 and 17. They identify and say, ‘This could have easily been me.’”
Said Bearup, a 2014 player from Alpharetta, Ga., “If they want to support it, I support the cause with them. We talked in that hotel room, we were shocked and discussed how we really felt about it. It could be anyone.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)