Jul 27, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
The University of Texas San Antonio has extended the contract of head coach Brooks Thompson through the 2016-17 season, the school announced on Friday.
The 43-year old Thompson has helmed the Roadrunners for seven seasons and has accumulated a record of 103-111 during that time, including an NCAA Tournament appearance during the 2010-11 season that resulted in the school’s first-ever postseason victory with a win over Alabama State in the opening round.
UTSA is set to join Conference USA this season after spending only one season in the WAC.
“We are very appreciative of the job Brooks has done for this program,” UTSA Athletic Director Lynn Hickey said. “When he arrived, he was faced with a tremendous challenge and he and his staff have turned things around both on and off the court. When you look at the things he has done with our APR and graduation rate and then see the quality and high character of the student- athletes he has brought to UTSA, we wanted to show support in return. Our recent conference moves have created another tremendous challenge for men’s basketball and this extension provides stability that is deserved as we enter a very competitive league in Conference USA.”
Last season the Roadrunners finished 9-21 and 3-14 in the WAC before joining Conference USA earlier this month.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)