Jul 27, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
The University of Texas San Antonio has extended the contract of head coach Brooks Thompson through the 2016-17 season, the school announced on Friday.
The 43-year old Thompson has helmed the Roadrunners for seven seasons and has accumulated a record of 103-111 during that time, including an NCAA Tournament appearance during the 2010-11 season that resulted in the school’s first-ever postseason victory with a win over Alabama State in the opening round.
UTSA is set to join Conference USA this season after spending only one season in the WAC.
“We are very appreciative of the job Brooks has done for this program,” UTSA Athletic Director Lynn Hickey said. “When he arrived, he was faced with a tremendous challenge and he and his staff have turned things around both on and off the court. When you look at the things he has done with our APR and graduation rate and then see the quality and high character of the student- athletes he has brought to UTSA, we wanted to show support in return. Our recent conference moves have created another tremendous challenge for men’s basketball and this extension provides stability that is deserved as we enter a very competitive league in Conference USA.”
Last season the Roadrunners finished 9-21 and 3-14 in the WAC before joining Conference USA earlier this month.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)