Jul 27, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
The University of Texas San Antonio has extended the contract of head coach Brooks Thompson through the 2016-17 season, the school announced on Friday.
The 43-year old Thompson has helmed the Roadrunners for seven seasons and has accumulated a record of 103-111 during that time, including an NCAA Tournament appearance during the 2010-11 season that resulted in the school’s first-ever postseason victory with a win over Alabama State in the opening round.
UTSA is set to join Conference USA this season after spending only one season in the WAC.
“We are very appreciative of the job Brooks has done for this program,” UTSA Athletic Director Lynn Hickey said. “When he arrived, he was faced with a tremendous challenge and he and his staff have turned things around both on and off the court. When you look at the things he has done with our APR and graduation rate and then see the quality and high character of the student- athletes he has brought to UTSA, we wanted to show support in return. Our recent conference moves have created another tremendous challenge for men’s basketball and this extension provides stability that is deserved as we enter a very competitive league in Conference USA.”
Last season the Roadrunners finished 9-21 and 3-14 in the WAC before joining Conference USA earlier this month.
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 0
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)