Jul 28, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
Phil Martelli landed a key part of his 2014 recruiting class last Friday when Shavar Newkirk, a 5-foot-10 point guard from Cardinal Hayes High School in the Bronx, NY, committed to St. Joseph’s.
Newkirk’s AAU program director Terrence “Munch” Williams had this to say of Newkirk’s decision to NYPost.com:
Great conference, Hall of Fame coach, close enough distance his family can come see him all the time, opportunity to play right away and play his natural position. He’s got a coach who extremely believes in him. He got everything he needed.
Newkirk boasted offers from schools hailing from BCS conferences such as Providence, Seton Hall, and Iowa State, but he cited geographical location and playing time as primary reasons for committing to the Philadelphia-based school. Not to mention, it was Martelli himself recruiting him, and not an assistant:
“I was the main priority, I was a must-get point guard for their school and they felt I was the best fit for them. The history that it has behind it, I feel blessed that the coach looked at my talents and wants me to play for him,” said Newkirk.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (7)