Jul 28, 2013, 12:45 PM EST
Phil Martelli landed a key part of his 2014 recruiting class last Friday when Shavar Newkirk, a 5-foot-10 point guard from Cardinal Hayes High School in the Bronx, NY, committed to St. Joseph’s.
Newkirk’s AAU program director Terrence “Munch” Williams had this to say of Newkirk’s decision to NYPost.com:
Great conference, Hall of Fame coach, close enough distance his family can come see him all the time, opportunity to play right away and play his natural position. He’s got a coach who extremely believes in him. He got everything he needed.
Newkirk boasted offers from schools hailing from BCS conferences such as Providence, Seton Hall, and Iowa State, but he cited geographical location and playing time as primary reasons for committing to the Philadelphia-based school. Not to mention, it was Martelli himself recruiting him, and not an assistant:
“I was the main priority, I was a must-get point guard for their school and they felt I was the best fit for them. The history that it has behind it, I feel blessed that the coach looked at my talents and wants me to play for him,” said Newkirk.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 0
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)