Jul 28, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
Phil Martelli landed a key part of his 2014 recruiting class last Friday when Shavar Newkirk, a 5-foot-10 point guard from Cardinal Hayes High School in the Bronx, NY, committed to St. Joseph’s.
Newkirk’s AAU program director Terrence “Munch” Williams had this to say of Newkirk’s decision to NYPost.com:
Great conference, Hall of Fame coach, close enough distance his family can come see him all the time, opportunity to play right away and play his natural position. He’s got a coach who extremely believes in him. He got everything he needed.
Newkirk boasted offers from schools hailing from BCS conferences such as Providence, Seton Hall, and Iowa State, but he cited geographical location and playing time as primary reasons for committing to the Philadelphia-based school. Not to mention, it was Martelli himself recruiting him, and not an assistant:
“I was the main priority, I was a must-get point guard for their school and they felt I was the best fit for them. The history that it has behind it, I feel blessed that the coach looked at my talents and wants me to play for him,” said Newkirk.
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)