Jul 28, 2013, 5:01 PM EST
After posting an 84-99 record in six seasons as head coach at Ball State, Billy Taylor was relieved of his duties back in March. Despite the way in which his tenure in Muncie ended, Taylor’s 15 years of college coaching experience can be an asset to a program.
That’s one reason why Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery decided to add Taylor to his staff as the program’s director of basketball operations, with the move being announced by the school on Saturday.
The two have worked together before, as they were both members of John MacLeod’s staff at Notre Dame during the 1998-99 season, and Taylor was one of McCaffery’s assistants at UNC-Greensboro (1999-2002) before becoming the head coach at Lehigh.
Taylor will replace Jerry Strom as Iowa’s director of basketball operations, with Strom making the decision to retire at the end of the 2012-13 season.
“We are extremely excited to have Billy Taylor join the Hawkeye family,” McCaffery said in the release. “I’ve known Billy since he was a teenager, having recruited and coached him, as well as being on the same coaching staff at Notre Dame and UNC-Greensboro. Billy is someone with tremendous character and will be a great asset to our program.”
Overall Taylor has a record of 165-168 in 11 seasons as a head coach, with his one NCAA tournament appearance coming with Lehigh in 2004. Taylor won’t be allowed to actively work with the players in his new role, but having another experienced voice in the room should be a positive for McCaffery.
Iowa reached the title game of the Postseason NIT last year, and with the majority of their key contributors returning (forward Aaron White and guard Devyn Marble being two) the Hawkeyes are expected by many to reach the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2006.
Iowa will play six games in Europe next month, making stops in London and Paris. The games will serve as an opportunity to get a head start on preparations for the 2013-14 season, in addition to incorporating newcomers Jarrod Uthoff (sat out last season after transferring in from Wisconsin) and Peter Jok into the system.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 0
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)