Jul 28, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
It’s not too often that a Director of Basketball Operations makes the jump to a lead assistant coach at a fellow Division 1 program, but that’s exactly what former Seton Hall DOBO Steve Sauers has done.
Sauers was not your traditional DOBO. Often reserved for the game’s younger minds, Sauers has 23 years of coaching experience having his career jump-started at Marist where he served in multiple roles after graduating from Albany in 1990: graduate assistant, a full-time Assistant, and associate head coach.
Sauers told NorthJersey.com: “I’m happy because it’s a great opportunity, but I’m also sad because I love Seton Hall and enjoyed working with coach [Kevin] Willard and Sha.”
Prior to Seton Hall, Sauers also made stops at the United States Military Academy Prep School (USMAPS) as head coach, Iona as an assistant, and for the Nigerian National Team as an assistant.
Sauers will join recently promoted head coach at UC Riverside Dennis Cutts on the bench. The two are longtime friends having both graduated from Albany and were four-year teammates in college.
Cutts is clearly excited to reconnect on the basketball court: “His 23 years of coaching and national contacts in recruiting are a tremendous asset for us, but more importantly we share similar values in life and athletics.”
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)