Jul 28, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
It’s not too often that a Director of Basketball Operations makes the jump to a lead assistant coach at a fellow Division 1 program, but that’s exactly what former Seton Hall DOBO Steve Sauers has done.
Sauers was not your traditional DOBO. Often reserved for the game’s younger minds, Sauers has 23 years of coaching experience having his career jump-started at Marist where he served in multiple roles after graduating from Albany in 1990: graduate assistant, a full-time Assistant, and associate head coach.
Sauers told NorthJersey.com: “I’m happy because it’s a great opportunity, but I’m also sad because I love Seton Hall and enjoyed working with coach [Kevin] Willard and Sha.”
Prior to Seton Hall, Sauers also made stops at the United States Military Academy Prep School (USMAPS) as head coach, Iona as an assistant, and for the Nigerian National Team as an assistant.
Sauers will join recently promoted head coach at UC Riverside Dennis Cutts on the bench. The two are longtime friends having both graduated from Albany and were four-year teammates in college.
Cutts is clearly excited to reconnect on the basketball court: “His 23 years of coaching and national contacts in recruiting are a tremendous asset for us, but more importantly we share similar values in life and athletics.”
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)