Jul 28, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
It’s not too often that a Director of Basketball Operations makes the jump to a lead assistant coach at a fellow Division 1 program, but that’s exactly what former Seton Hall DOBO Steve Sauers has done.
Sauers was not your traditional DOBO. Often reserved for the game’s younger minds, Sauers has 23 years of coaching experience having his career jump-started at Marist where he served in multiple roles after graduating from Albany in 1990: graduate assistant, a full-time Assistant, and associate head coach.
Sauers told NorthJersey.com: “I’m happy because it’s a great opportunity, but I’m also sad because I love Seton Hall and enjoyed working with coach [Kevin] Willard and Sha.”
Prior to Seton Hall, Sauers also made stops at the United States Military Academy Prep School (USMAPS) as head coach, Iona as an assistant, and for the Nigerian National Team as an assistant.
Sauers will join recently promoted head coach at UC Riverside Dennis Cutts on the bench. The two are longtime friends having both graduated from Albany and were four-year teammates in college.
Cutts is clearly excited to reconnect on the basketball court: “His 23 years of coaching and national contacts in recruiting are a tremendous asset for us, but more importantly we share similar values in life and athletics.”
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)