Jul 28, 2013, 6:25 PM EDT
With the start of classes for the upcoming academic year rapidly approaching, college basketball transfers who have yet to pick a new destination are running out of time to do so.
However former Virginia guard Taylor Barnette knows where he’ll continue his college career, as it was reported by Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com on Saturday that Barnette has decided to transfer to Belmont. In his lone season as a Cavalier Barnette played in 26 games, averaging 2.6 points in 9.5 minutes of action per contest.
In mid-July it was announced that Barnette made the decision to leave Charlottesville, with head coach Tony Bennett stating that the 6-3 guard made the decision because he desired a larger role.
Barnette will have three years of eligibility remaining after sitting out the 2013-14 season, and that year off (in regards to his ability to play in games) should help him learn the style of play preferred by head coach Rick Byrd. And it goes without saying that Barnette’s going to be playing at a higher pace than he did at UVA.
According to Ken Pomeroy’s numbers Belmont ranked 117th in adjusted tempo (67.1 possessions/40 minutes) last season, and their average possession lasted 16.6 seconds (37th). By comparison Virginia ranked 328th in adjusted tempo (61.0 possessions/40), and their average of 20.0 seconds per possession ranked 314th.
Belmont lost two key components to their backcourt rotation at the end of the 2012-13 season in Ian Clark (18.2 ppg; was named NBA Las Vegas Summer League MVP) and Kerron Johnson (14.0, 4.8 apg), and they’ll lose another after the 2013-14 season as J.J. Mann is entering his senior campaign.
Outside of Mann the Bruins don’t have a great deal of experience on the perimeter, with many of the young players who will have opportunities to earn playing time this season slated to be around when Barnette becomes eligible to play in 2014.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Throwback Thursday: Which Jim Calhoun rant was the best Jim Calhoun rant? (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)