Jul 28, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
The most high-profile college basketball team in New England is looking to expand their brand and give fans across the state of Connecticut increased opportunities to see UConn basketball.
According to The Courant, the University of Connecticut is having conversations with Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville (30 miles south of the UConn Campus) and Harbor Yard Arena in Bridgeport (80 miles southeast) as hosts for men’s and women’s basketball games.
Aside from the XL Center in downtown Hartford, these two arenas are two of the state’s premier facilities to host sporting events, and both have hosted plenty college basketball games in the past. While Mohegan Sun is host to the WNBA’s Connecticut Sun and the newer of the two arenas, this year the Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament will take place here. Harbor Yard Arena has hosted several NCAA Division 1 women’s tournament games in the past, and is also the home for Fairfield University’s men’s basketball.
A primary reason that UConn is exploring home games at other venues across the state is because their contract with the XL Center expired last season. According to a source, going forward UConn will not sign a contract that mandates them to play a select number of home games at just one arena: “One way or another, UConn was not going to allow that [exclusivity] to happen in any new deal,” said one source.
Not to mention, rental fees at the XL Center are quite expensive.
For many of the marquee games against big-name opponents, UConn is still likely to play at Gampel Pavillion (the on-campus arena) or at the XL Center in the future: “The men are not moving games like Memphis [away from Hartford or Gampel],” said one source. “But I also think there is a very good chance that UConn is going to do some business with Bridgeport.”
You can find Kevin on twitter @KLDoyle11
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)