Jul 29, 2013, 8:55 PM EST
When I think Dayton, I think of one of the best possible places for the NCAA Tournament’s First Four. UD Arena presents a great atmosphere, at least half the teams in the pod seem to be within driving (or reasonable flying) distance of the city and there always are a few games with some memorable finishes.
As an athletic program by itself, though, Dayton appears to want some upgrades. So the school announced it will put $6 million — $2 million each into three projects — into certain facilities to improve them.
The funds for the improvements will primarily come from donations.
As a part of the renovation, the basketball weight room will be relocated from the Donoher Basketball Center to a new 10,000-square-foot Athletic Performance Center in Reichard Hall. The Donoher Center will also get upgrades to include more technology and meeting spaces for the football and men’s basketball teams.
The upgrades also benefit the volleyball and women’s lacrosse teams (the school is adding women’s lacrosse in 2016).
It’s a good sign for the Flyers that the school is investing in the advancement of all the athletic programs, obviously. From a basketball standpoint, it’s a never-ending arms race for facilities and with new competition entering the Atlantic 10 in the past few years, any upgrades Dayton can make to help lure recruits is a good one.
Archie Miller’s squad went 17-14 last season, ending a streak of five-straight 20-win seasons for the Flyers. The team returns Vee Sanford (12.3 points per game) along with leading rebounder Devin Oliver (7.8 boards per game).
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 3
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)