Jul 29, 2013, 8:55 PM EDT
When I think Dayton, I think of one of the best possible places for the NCAA Tournament’s First Four. UD Arena presents a great atmosphere, at least half the teams in the pod seem to be within driving (or reasonable flying) distance of the city and there always are a few games with some memorable finishes.
As an athletic program by itself, though, Dayton appears to want some upgrades. So the school announced it will put $6 million — $2 million each into three projects — into certain facilities to improve them.
The funds for the improvements will primarily come from donations.
As a part of the renovation, the basketball weight room will be relocated from the Donoher Basketball Center to a new 10,000-square-foot Athletic Performance Center in Reichard Hall. The Donoher Center will also get upgrades to include more technology and meeting spaces for the football and men’s basketball teams.
The upgrades also benefit the volleyball and women’s lacrosse teams (the school is adding women’s lacrosse in 2016).
It’s a good sign for the Flyers that the school is investing in the advancement of all the athletic programs, obviously. From a basketball standpoint, it’s a never-ending arms race for facilities and with new competition entering the Atlantic 10 in the past few years, any upgrades Dayton can make to help lure recruits is a good one.
Archie Miller’s squad went 17-14 last season, ending a streak of five-straight 20-win seasons for the Flyers. The team returns Vee Sanford (12.3 points per game) along with leading rebounder Devin Oliver (7.8 boards per game).
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)