Jul 29, 2013, 4:44 PM EDT
Today hasn’t been kind to Kevin Stallings.
On the same day that it was made public that sophomore-to-be Kevin Bright would head back to his native Germany to play professionally, the Vanderbilt coach also had bad news about Kedren Johnson come to light.
Vanderbilt announced Monday it has suspended Johnson for the season. As of 3:30 p.m., Johnson had already been removed from the 2013-14 roster on the athletic department’s website.
The Tennessean previously reported that Johnson is no longer enrolled at the school.
Johnson, a senior-to-be, told the publication that his situation is in relation to student conduct and he referred to it as a “suspension”. He also added that it “is not forever.”
The decision, at least temporarily, leaves Vanderbilt with nine scholarship players.
The team’s leading scorer — and its workhorse from last season — Johnson averaged 13.5 points and 3.6 assists for the Commodores. The Lewisburg, Tenn. native led the team in a number of major statistical categories, including scoring, assists, minutes (31.7 per game), steals (34) and free throw percentage (72.3 percent). He is the third starter they’ve lost this offseason.
Has there been a major program that has fallen quicker and harder from grace than Vandy? Two seasons ago, the ‘Dores knocked off a Kentucky team destined for a national championship in the SEC Tournament title game. Now they’ve lost every member of their 2012 recruiting class and the team’s top returning player won’t be on the team in 2013-14.
Stallings has two recruits coming in for this season in power forward Luke Korney and four-star power forward Damian Jones. He’s going to need every bit of them.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)