Jul 29, 2013, 4:44 PM EDT
Today hasn’t been kind to Kevin Stallings.
On the same day that it was made public that sophomore-to-be Kevin Bright would head back to his native Germany to play professionally, the Vanderbilt coach also had bad news about Kedren Johnson come to light.
Vanderbilt announced Monday it has suspended Johnson for the season. As of 3:30 p.m., Johnson had already been removed from the 2013-14 roster on the athletic department’s website.
The Tennessean previously reported that Johnson is no longer enrolled at the school.
Johnson, a senior-to-be, told the publication that his situation is in relation to student conduct and he referred to it as a “suspension”. He also added that it “is not forever.”
The decision, at least temporarily, leaves Vanderbilt with nine scholarship players.
The team’s leading scorer — and its workhorse from last season — Johnson averaged 13.5 points and 3.6 assists for the Commodores. The Lewisburg, Tenn. native led the team in a number of major statistical categories, including scoring, assists, minutes (31.7 per game), steals (34) and free throw percentage (72.3 percent). He is the third starter they’ve lost this offseason.
Has there been a major program that has fallen quicker and harder from grace than Vandy? Two seasons ago, the ‘Dores knocked off a Kentucky team destined for a national championship in the SEC Tournament title game. Now they’ve lost every member of their 2012 recruiting class and the team’s top returning player won’t be on the team in 2013-14.
Stallings has two recruits coming in for this season in power forward Luke Korney and four-star power forward Damian Jones. He’s going to need every bit of them.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)