Jul 29, 2013, 12:11 PM EDT
Vandy suffered a blow on Monday afternoon, as rising sophomore Kevin Bright has signed with the Fraport Skyliners, a professional team in Frankfurt, Germany.
If you can read German, you can check out the press release here.
Bright, a 6-foot-5 combo-guard that grew up in Germany, averaged 6.9 points and 5.5 boards for the Commodores a season ago. He came on strong late in the season, averaging 9.1 points in the final eight games. That included the game-winner he hit against Georgia and a would-be game-winner against Ole Miss if Marshall Henderson didn’t do this.
With Bright gone, that now means that Kevin Stallings’ entire 2012 recruiting class has left the program. AJ Astroth transferred out after averaging just 4.7 minutes in his first season, while Sheldon Jeter left the program in May, although his attempt to transfer to Pitt has been blocked.
What makes this all the more curious is that Bright didn’t even tell his coaches that he was signing a contract. From the Tennessean:
Commodores coach Kevin Stallings stated via text on Monday morning that he had “not been told that by (Bright) but nothing would surprise me.” Stallings added that the 21-year-old had returned to Germany last week to be with his mother after she suffered a nervous breakdown.
Vandy has been in full-on rebuilding mode since losing Jeff Taylor, John Jenkins and Fetsus Ezeli, and losing an entire recruiting class isn’t exactly the best way to go about jump-starting a program.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason (3)