Jul 29, 2013, 12:11 PM EST
Vandy suffered a blow on Monday afternoon, as rising sophomore Kevin Bright has signed with the Fraport Skyliners, a professional team in Frankfurt, Germany.
If you can read German, you can check out the press release here.
Bright, a 6-foot-5 combo-guard that grew up in Germany, averaged 6.9 points and 5.5 boards for the Commodores a season ago. He came on strong late in the season, averaging 9.1 points in the final eight games. That included the game-winner he hit against Georgia and a would-be game-winner against Ole Miss if Marshall Henderson didn’t do this.
With Bright gone, that now means that Kevin Stallings’ entire 2012 recruiting class has left the program. AJ Astroth transferred out after averaging just 4.7 minutes in his first season, while Sheldon Jeter left the program in May, although his attempt to transfer to Pitt has been blocked.
What makes this all the more curious is that Bright didn’t even tell his coaches that he was signing a contract. From the Tennessean:
Commodores coach Kevin Stallings stated via text on Monday morning that he had “not been told that by (Bright) but nothing would surprise me.” Stallings added that the 21-year-old had returned to Germany last week to be with his mother after she suffered a nervous breakdown.
Vandy has been in full-on rebuilding mode since losing Jeff Taylor, John Jenkins and Fetsus Ezeli, and losing an entire recruiting class isn’t exactly the best way to go about jump-starting a program.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)