Jul 29, 2013, 12:11 PM EST
Vandy suffered a blow on Monday afternoon, as rising sophomore Kevin Bright has signed with the Fraport Skyliners, a professional team in Frankfurt, Germany.
If you can read German, you can check out the press release here.
Bright, a 6-foot-5 combo-guard that grew up in Germany, averaged 6.9 points and 5.5 boards for the Commodores a season ago. He came on strong late in the season, averaging 9.1 points in the final eight games. That included the game-winner he hit against Georgia and a would-be game-winner against Ole Miss if Marshall Henderson didn’t do this.
With Bright gone, that now means that Kevin Stallings’ entire 2012 recruiting class has left the program. AJ Astroth transferred out after averaging just 4.7 minutes in his first season, while Sheldon Jeter left the program in May, although his attempt to transfer to Pitt has been blocked.
What makes this all the more curious is that Bright didn’t even tell his coaches that he was signing a contract. From the Tennessean:
Commodores coach Kevin Stallings stated via text on Monday morning that he had “not been told that by (Bright) but nothing would surprise me.” Stallings added that the 21-year-old had returned to Germany last week to be with his mother after she suffered a nervous breakdown.
Vandy has been in full-on rebuilding mode since losing Jeff Taylor, John Jenkins and Fetsus Ezeli, and losing an entire recruiting class isn’t exactly the best way to go about jump-starting a program.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)