Jul 30, 2013, 4:09 PM EDT
Jesse Morgan had his season ended with a torn ACL back in January. Despite rehabbing his knee, Morgan’s college basketball career may have come to an end on Monday after meeting with NCAA officials.
Morgan, who was forced to withdraw from the University of Massachusetts in April, had enrolled in Temple with the hopes that he could use his final year of eligibility with his hometown Owls. However, multiple sources informed Matt Vautour of the Daily Hampshire Gazette, that Morgan’s appeal was denied by the NCAA.
As Vautour points out, it appeared to be a long shot that Morgan would be able to suit up this year for Temple:
1. The 2013-14 season would have been his fifth and final season eligible in college. NCAA requires transferring athletes to sit out a season. If Morgan sat out, he’d be out of eligibility.
2. NCAA rules mandate that a student athlete must continually be making progress toward their degree in each semester. He didn’t make progress during the spring because UMass denied him the ability to take classes on campus or online.
This past school year in Amherst had been a difficult one for Morgan. It began when he — along with teammates Cady Lalanne and Trey Davis — was suspended from a preseason exhibition game for unknown disciplinary reasons. He torn his ACL on Jan. 10 in a loss to Saint Louis. Four months later he withdrew from the university.
The 6-foot-5 Morgan was the Minutemen’s second-leading scorer from this past season with 13.4 points per game, playing in only 14 games.
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 2
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)