Jul 30, 2013, 4:09 PM EDT
Jesse Morgan had his season ended with a torn ACL back in January. Despite rehabbing his knee, Morgan’s college basketball career may have come to an end on Monday after meeting with NCAA officials.
Morgan, who was forced to withdraw from the University of Massachusetts in April, had enrolled in Temple with the hopes that he could use his final year of eligibility with his hometown Owls. However, multiple sources informed Matt Vautour of the Daily Hampshire Gazette, that Morgan’s appeal was denied by the NCAA.
As Vautour points out, it appeared to be a long shot that Morgan would be able to suit up this year for Temple:
1. The 2013-14 season would have been his fifth and final season eligible in college. NCAA requires transferring athletes to sit out a season. If Morgan sat out, he’d be out of eligibility.
2. NCAA rules mandate that a student athlete must continually be making progress toward their degree in each semester. He didn’t make progress during the spring because UMass denied him the ability to take classes on campus or online.
This past school year in Amherst had been a difficult one for Morgan. It began when he — along with teammates Cady Lalanne and Trey Davis — was suspended from a preseason exhibition game for unknown disciplinary reasons. He torn his ACL on Jan. 10 in a loss to Saint Louis. Four months later he withdrew from the university.
The 6-foot-5 Morgan was the Minutemen’s second-leading scorer from this past season with 13.4 points per game, playing in only 14 games.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)