Jul 30, 2013, 1:28 PM EDT
The National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame class of 2013 has been announced, and it includes five players, two coaches, two contributors and one team.
The list of players is headlined by ‘The Big E’, Elvin Hayes. Houston’s all-time leading scorer and rebounder, Hayes led the Cougars to Final Fours in 1967 and 1968 and was the National Player of the Year in 1968. He scored 39 points and grabbed 15 boards in one of the most memorable college basketball games of all-time. Known as the “Game of the Century”, Houston snapped a 47-game winning streak for then-No. 1 UCLA in the first nationally televised regular season game which was played in front of 53,000 fans in the Astrodome.
The second-most recognizable player on this list is UCLA’s Marques Johnson, and while he had a great career at UCLA in the ’70s — winning a National Player of the Year award as a senior — Johnson may be most recognized for his role as Raymond, a gun-toting street-baller, in the timeless classic White Men Can’t Jump.
Other players to be inducted in the Class of 2013:
- Bob Hopkins, Grambling
– Tom McMillen, Maryland
– Xavier McDaniel, Wichita State
The two coaches that will be inducted in this class are Rollie Massimino and Gene Keady. Keady is currently on the St. John’s staff, but he built his reputation in a 25-year tenure as the head coach at Purdue, where he won four National Coach of the Year awards and seven Big Ten Coach of the Year awards.
Massimino is currently coaching at Northwood, a small school in Florida, but he’s been a Division I head coach at Villanova, Cleveland State, UNLV and Stony Brook. He’s most famous for leading Villanova to the 1985 national title, beating John Thompson’s Georgetown powerhouse in one of the tournament’s most memorable upsets.
The final three inductees:
- George Raveling, Nike
– George Killian, FIBA
– 1963 Loyola Ramblers
The induction celebration will take place on November 24th in Kansas City, MO, two days before the CBE Hall of Fame Classic, featuring Texas, BYU, Wichita State and DePaul, takes place.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)