Jul 30, 2013, 10:03 PM EDT
The University of Toledo campus has an addition to its concessions stands at football and basketball games this year: alcohol. The Ohio division of liquor control provided Toledo a permit to sell alcohol on campus.
The Toledo Blade was the first to report the story, and according to the publication the University of Toledo is the 23rd school (and the fourth Mid-American Conference) to allow the sell of alcohol at home games. Bowling Green, another MAC program, earns around $25,000 a year from alcohol sales
“Obviously our stance on responsible behavior from our fans won’t change,” Toledo Athletic Director Mike O’Brien told the Blade. “That’s always in place. A number of schools have done this and some of our fans have asked about it. We thought this was the year to make this move.”
“The financial piece is clearly a part of it, but it could also create for some a more entertaining experience during our events,” O’Brien added
Toledo will pull out all the stops for the changes in this season’s athletic events.
- Campus security will be present at all stands selling alcohol
- Only two beers sold per transaction
- Identification must be provided, regardless of age
- Servers and managers will go through proper training
- Alcohol sales end after the third quarter of football games and with 10 minutes to go in basketball games
The Rockets begin selling $6, 16-ounce beers on Sept. 14. Toledo is the latest school willing to sell alcohol at collegiate sporting events.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (5)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)