Jul 30, 2013, 10:03 PM EST
The University of Toledo campus has an addition to its concessions stands at football and basketball games this year: alcohol. The Ohio division of liquor control provided Toledo a permit to sell alcohol on campus.
The Toledo Blade was the first to report the story, and according to the publication the University of Toledo is the 23rd school (and the fourth Mid-American Conference) to allow the sell of alcohol at home games. Bowling Green, another MAC program, earns around $25,000 a year from alcohol sales
“Obviously our stance on responsible behavior from our fans won’t change,” Toledo Athletic Director Mike O’Brien told the Blade. “That’s always in place. A number of schools have done this and some of our fans have asked about it. We thought this was the year to make this move.”
“The financial piece is clearly a part of it, but it could also create for some a more entertaining experience during our events,” O’Brien added
Toledo will pull out all the stops for the changes in this season’s athletic events.
- Campus security will be present at all stands selling alcohol
- Only two beers sold per transaction
- Identification must be provided, regardless of age
- Servers and managers will go through proper training
- Alcohol sales end after the third quarter of football games and with 10 minutes to go in basketball games
The Rockets begin selling $6, 16-ounce beers on Sept. 14. Toledo is the latest school willing to sell alcohol at collegiate sporting events.
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 0
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 2
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (5)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)