Jul 30, 2013, 10:03 PM EDT
The University of Toledo campus has an addition to its concessions stands at football and basketball games this year: alcohol. The Ohio division of liquor control provided Toledo a permit to sell alcohol on campus.
The Toledo Blade was the first to report the story, and according to the publication the University of Toledo is the 23rd school (and the fourth Mid-American Conference) to allow the sell of alcohol at home games. Bowling Green, another MAC program, earns around $25,000 a year from alcohol sales
“Obviously our stance on responsible behavior from our fans won’t change,” Toledo Athletic Director Mike O’Brien told the Blade. “That’s always in place. A number of schools have done this and some of our fans have asked about it. We thought this was the year to make this move.”
“The financial piece is clearly a part of it, but it could also create for some a more entertaining experience during our events,” O’Brien added
Toledo will pull out all the stops for the changes in this season’s athletic events.
- Campus security will be present at all stands selling alcohol
- Only two beers sold per transaction
- Identification must be provided, regardless of age
- Servers and managers will go through proper training
- Alcohol sales end after the third quarter of football games and with 10 minutes to go in basketball games
The Rockets begin selling $6, 16-ounce beers on Sept. 14. Toledo is the latest school willing to sell alcohol at collegiate sporting events.
- Five-star wing Brandon Ingram elevates his play during July 0
- CBT Quotables Part 1: Jawun Evans, Diamond Stone, Skal Labissiere and more 1
- LeBron James Skills Academy Day 2 Recap: Huntington Prep tandem enjoys productive Thursday 0
- adidas Unrivaled Day 1: Brandon Ingram gets the best of Jaylen Brown, Ray Smith hurts his knee 0
- Reebok Breakout Classic Day 2 Recap: Derrick Jones puts on a show 1
- Five-star 2015 forward Henry Ellenson working to become a more versatile player 1
- Diamond Stone discusses his package deal, recent weight loss 2
- Rashad McCants says he’s getting $310 million from UNC, NCAA (16)
- Rashad McCants says there was never a relationship between him and Roy Williams (AUDIO) (9)
- Report: Memphis football player attacked Dominic Woodson, advisor (5)
- Rick Brunson used Patrick Ewing’s name to deceive masseuse which led to his arrest (3)
- Report: Naadir Tharpe to turn pro (3)