Jul 30, 2013, 10:03 PM EST
The University of Toledo campus has an addition to its concessions stands at football and basketball games this year: alcohol. The Ohio division of liquor control provided Toledo a permit to sell alcohol on campus.
The Toledo Blade was the first to report the story, and according to the publication the University of Toledo is the 23rd school (and the fourth Mid-American Conference) to allow the sell of alcohol at home games. Bowling Green, another MAC program, earns around $25,000 a year from alcohol sales
“Obviously our stance on responsible behavior from our fans won’t change,” Toledo Athletic Director Mike O’Brien told the Blade. “That’s always in place. A number of schools have done this and some of our fans have asked about it. We thought this was the year to make this move.”
“The financial piece is clearly a part of it, but it could also create for some a more entertaining experience during our events,” O’Brien added
Toledo will pull out all the stops for the changes in this season’s athletic events.
- Campus security will be present at all stands selling alcohol
- Only two beers sold per transaction
- Identification must be provided, regardless of age
- Servers and managers will go through proper training
- Alcohol sales end after the third quarter of football games and with 10 minutes to go in basketball games
The Rockets begin selling $6, 16-ounce beers on Sept. 14. Toledo is the latest school willing to sell alcohol at collegiate sporting events.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)