Jul 30, 2013, 10:03 PM EDT
The University of Toledo campus has an addition to its concessions stands at football and basketball games this year: alcohol. The Ohio division of liquor control provided Toledo a permit to sell alcohol on campus.
The Toledo Blade was the first to report the story, and according to the publication the University of Toledo is the 23rd school (and the fourth Mid-American Conference) to allow the sell of alcohol at home games. Bowling Green, another MAC program, earns around $25,000 a year from alcohol sales
“Obviously our stance on responsible behavior from our fans won’t change,” Toledo Athletic Director Mike O’Brien told the Blade. “That’s always in place. A number of schools have done this and some of our fans have asked about it. We thought this was the year to make this move.”
“The financial piece is clearly a part of it, but it could also create for some a more entertaining experience during our events,” O’Brien added
Toledo will pull out all the stops for the changes in this season’s athletic events.
- Campus security will be present at all stands selling alcohol
- Only two beers sold per transaction
- Identification must be provided, regardless of age
- Servers and managers will go through proper training
- Alcohol sales end after the third quarter of football games and with 10 minutes to go in basketball games
The Rockets begin selling $6, 16-ounce beers on Sept. 14. Toledo is the latest school willing to sell alcohol at collegiate sporting events.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)