Jul 30, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Jay Wright has added a second commitment in the Class of 2014, as Phil Booth committed to the Wildcats on Tuesday afternoon.
“I am committed to be a student-athlete at the University of Villanova,” Booth tweeted. (We’re just going to go ahead and ignore the whole wrongly-named school thing.)
Booth is a good get for Wright. A Baltimore native, Booth played his AAU ball for Nike’s Team Takeover. He held offers from both Georgetown and Maryland, where his Takeover teammate Dion Wiley recently committed to play. He was reportedly planning to visit Indiana, where former Takeover staffer Kenny Johnson is currently an assistant coach.
And Wright managed to earn the commitment. That’s impressive.
Booth should fit in well with what Wright likes to do. An athletic, 6-foot-2 lead guard, Booth can play the role of point guard but is also comfortable in a role as a primary scorer. Guards of that ilk — Randy Foye, Allan Ray, Scottie Reynolds, Corey Fisher, Ryan Arcidiacono — have had success with the Wildcats.
Booth is ranked 78th in the Class of 2014, according to Rivals. He joins Mikael Bridges as Villanova’s 2014 commits.
(Image via Kelly Kline/UA)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)