Jul 30, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Jay Wright has added a second commitment in the Class of 2014, as Phil Booth committed to the Wildcats on Tuesday afternoon.
“I am committed to be a student-athlete at the University of Villanova,” Booth tweeted. (We’re just going to go ahead and ignore the whole wrongly-named school thing.)
Booth is a good get for Wright. A Baltimore native, Booth played his AAU ball for Nike’s Team Takeover. He held offers from both Georgetown and Maryland, where his Takeover teammate Dion Wiley recently committed to play. He was reportedly planning to visit Indiana, where former Takeover staffer Kenny Johnson is currently an assistant coach.
And Wright managed to earn the commitment. That’s impressive.
Booth should fit in well with what Wright likes to do. An athletic, 6-foot-2 lead guard, Booth can play the role of point guard but is also comfortable in a role as a primary scorer. Guards of that ilk — Randy Foye, Allan Ray, Scottie Reynolds, Corey Fisher, Ryan Arcidiacono — have had success with the Wildcats.
Booth is ranked 78th in the Class of 2014, according to Rivals. He joins Mikael Bridges as Villanova’s 2014 commits.
(Image via Kelly Kline/UA)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (3)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Len Bias among inductees in Maryland’s 2014 Athletics Hall of Fame class (2)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)