Jul 30, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Jay Wright has added a second commitment in the Class of 2014, as Phil Booth committed to the Wildcats on Tuesday afternoon.
“I am committed to be a student-athlete at the University of Villanova,” Booth tweeted. (We’re just going to go ahead and ignore the whole wrongly-named school thing.)
Booth is a good get for Wright. A Baltimore native, Booth played his AAU ball for Nike’s Team Takeover. He held offers from both Georgetown and Maryland, where his Takeover teammate Dion Wiley recently committed to play. He was reportedly planning to visit Indiana, where former Takeover staffer Kenny Johnson is currently an assistant coach.
And Wright managed to earn the commitment. That’s impressive.
Booth should fit in well with what Wright likes to do. An athletic, 6-foot-2 lead guard, Booth can play the role of point guard but is also comfortable in a role as a primary scorer. Guards of that ilk — Randy Foye, Allan Ray, Scottie Reynolds, Corey Fisher, Ryan Arcidiacono — have had success with the Wildcats.
Booth is ranked 78th in the Class of 2014, according to Rivals. He joins Mikael Bridges as Villanova’s 2014 commits.
(Image via Kelly Kline/UA)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (17)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)