Jul 30, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
Trey Lyles is down to only four schools — Butler, Florida, Kentucky and Louisville — but on Tuesday afternoon sent out a tweet (since deleted), making a recruiting pitch of his own to one of the teams on Tobacco Road.
I still wish UNC would have recruited me!!
— Trey Lyles (@TreyMambaLyles) July 30, 2013
It’s unclear as to why the 6-foot-10 Arsenal Tech (Ind.) power forward decided now to express his interest in North Carolina. The five-star power forward will in all likelihood only make a trip to Chapel Hill as an opponent, as Roger Kuznia of Sporting News pointed out.
The Tar Heels roster for the 2013-2014 season consists of forwards James Michael McAdoo, Brice Johnson, Desmond Hubert, Joel James and incoming big men Isaiah Hicks and Kennedy Meeks. All of six of them can return for the following season if McAdoo once again decides not to declare for the NBA Draft.
Regardless of Lyles’ latest tweet, this will likely end well for all parties. Lyles has the chance to play for a contender in either the ACC, Big East or SEC.
The Tar Heels may have been in a good position had they gone after Lyles, though, Roy Williams’ Class of 2014 is already strong with five-star forwards Theo Pinson and Justin Jackson and four-star point guard Joel Berry.
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)