Jul 31, 2013, 11:50 PM EDT
On Wednesday Louisville saw its number of verbal commitments in the 2014 class drop from three to two, as Ballard High School (Louisville, Ky.) point guard Quentin Snider announced his decision to reopen his recruitment.
Snider was the first verbal commitment for Rick Pitino, announcing his decision some two years ago, with wing Shaqquan Aaron and combo guard JaQuan Lyle announcing their decisions in February and June respectively.
Via his Twitter account, Snider stated the following: “I would love to be a cardinal but at this time it’s time I think it’s better to look at other options to make sure it’s the right fit for me.”
According to Steve Jones of the Louisville Courier-Journal, Snider’s father hopes that Louisville will continue to recruit Quentin.
He’s been kind of going back and forth this past month. There’s just a lot of guards. Everybody still wants him to go to Louisville. The family does, and we hope Louisville still recruits him. I don’t know if they will or not, but he just wants to make sure it’s the best fit for him basically.
Snider, a Top 50 prospect according to the major scouting services, has already received an offer from another school as Jody Demling of Cardinal Authority reported via Twitter that Minnesota has offered Snider. That shouldn’t be a surprise, as there is some familiarity between Snider and new Minnesota head coach Richard Pitino.
As for Louisville, they’re in good shape at the point with junior college transfer Chris Jones (considered by many to be the top JUCO player in the country last season) and Terry Rozier both joining the program. And while many expect him to play off the ball when he gets to Louisville, Lyle (who is 6 foot 4) is more than skilled enough to handle the point if needed.
The number of options that Rick Pitino will have on the perimeter in 2014 leaves the Cardinals in good shape even with Snider’s decision to reopen his recruitment.
Interestingly enough, those options may have helped Snider come to the conclusion that he should take a look at other schools.
image courtesy of NY2LA Sports
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)