Jul 31, 2013, 7:27 PM EDT
After redshirting in 2011-12, Richmond center Luke Piotrowski hoped that there would be more opportunities to earn playing time in 2012-13. Unfortunately for Piotrowski that wasn’t the case, as he played in just six games for the Spiders, posting averages of 0.3 points and 1.1 rebounds per game (3.6 minutes/game).
On Wednesday it was reported by Josh Verlin of City of Basketball Love that Piotrowski has decided to transfer, with his desire for more playing time being the primary factor.
Piotrowski played a total of 15 minutes in the Spiders’ first two games of the season, blowout victories over Liberty and UNCW. But after those contests the Atlantic Christian (N.J.) High product played a total of ten minutes for the remainder of the season.
“I’m going to miss Richmond a lot, I really did love it there, I had a great relationship with Coach Mooney and the rest of the staff and I really am grateful for everything they’ve done for me for the past two years,” he told CoBL by phone.
“I think it just kind of got to a point where I said to myself, ‘I want to be the best player that I can be and I need to go to a place that allows me to be.’ I met with coach [Chris] Mooney and we kind of decided that transferring might be the best option.”
The Spiders welcome back four interior players who saw double-digit minutes in 2012-13, with Derrick Williams (11.4 ppg, 5.4 rpg) being the lone senior. Joining him on the floor will be a trio of sophomores: Alonzo Nelson-Ododa (3.9, 4.0, 1.8 bpg), Deion Taylor (3.6, 1.8) and Terry Allen (4.4, 3.4).
And waiting in the wings is T.J. Cline, who averaged 7.9 points and 4.6 rebounds per game as a freshman at Niagara last season before deciding to transfer in the aftermath of Joe Mihalich leaving to take the Hofstra job.
Cline, who will have to sit out this season per NCAA transfer rules, was named to the MAAC All-Rookie Team. With those options at Mooney’s disposal, playing time was going to be tough to come by for Piotrowski.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)