Jul 31, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT
Two weeks ago, Auburn head coach Tony Barbee dismissed Shaq Johnson from the team following an arrest for possession stemming from a late-night traffic stop.
Johnson had started 21 games and averaged 5.3 points last season for the Tigers. He’s since transferred to Northwest Florida State.
On Tuesday, Barbee opened up about why he took swift and decisive action against Johnson.
“It wasn’t a single incident,” Barbee told Brandon Marcello of AL.com. “It was kind of a pattern of behavior. Unfortunately, he continued to make the wrong decisions, and it was getting to a point where it was affecting the entire team, the entire program, so it was time to cut the cord.”
“It’s like I tell all my guys. Life is about decision making. If you continue to make the wrong decisions in this program, you’re letting everybody know you can’t be a part of it anymore.”
Johnson’s dismissal was the latest piece of bad news to hit Auburn in recent seasons, not the least of which is a point-shaving scandal still hanging over the program thanks to Texas-transfer Varez Ward.
Oh, and since I’m writing about Shaq Johnson, I might as well post this again:
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)