Jul 31, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT
Two weeks ago, Auburn head coach Tony Barbee dismissed Shaq Johnson from the team following an arrest for possession stemming from a late-night traffic stop.
Johnson had started 21 games and averaged 5.3 points last season for the Tigers. He’s since transferred to Northwest Florida State.
On Tuesday, Barbee opened up about why he took swift and decisive action against Johnson.
“It wasn’t a single incident,” Barbee told Brandon Marcello of AL.com. “It was kind of a pattern of behavior. Unfortunately, he continued to make the wrong decisions, and it was getting to a point where it was affecting the entire team, the entire program, so it was time to cut the cord.”
“It’s like I tell all my guys. Life is about decision making. If you continue to make the wrong decisions in this program, you’re letting everybody know you can’t be a part of it anymore.”
Johnson’s dismissal was the latest piece of bad news to hit Auburn in recent seasons, not the least of which is a point-shaving scandal still hanging over the program thanks to Texas-transfer Varez Ward.
Oh, and since I’m writing about Shaq Johnson, I might as well post this again:
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 3
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)