Jul 31, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT
Two weeks ago, Auburn head coach Tony Barbee dismissed Shaq Johnson from the team following an arrest for possession stemming from a late-night traffic stop.
Johnson had started 21 games and averaged 5.3 points last season for the Tigers. He’s since transferred to Northwest Florida State.
On Tuesday, Barbee opened up about why he took swift and decisive action against Johnson.
“It wasn’t a single incident,” Barbee told Brandon Marcello of AL.com. “It was kind of a pattern of behavior. Unfortunately, he continued to make the wrong decisions, and it was getting to a point where it was affecting the entire team, the entire program, so it was time to cut the cord.”
“It’s like I tell all my guys. Life is about decision making. If you continue to make the wrong decisions in this program, you’re letting everybody know you can’t be a part of it anymore.”
Johnson’s dismissal was the latest piece of bad news to hit Auburn in recent seasons, not the least of which is a point-shaving scandal still hanging over the program thanks to Texas-transfer Varez Ward.
Oh, and since I’m writing about Shaq Johnson, I might as well post this again:
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)