Jul 31, 2013, 1:03 PM EST
Two weeks ago, Auburn head coach Tony Barbee dismissed Shaq Johnson from the team following an arrest for possession stemming from a late-night traffic stop.
Johnson had started 21 games and averaged 5.3 points last season for the Tigers. He’s since transferred to Northwest Florida State.
On Tuesday, Barbee opened up about why he took swift and decisive action against Johnson.
“It wasn’t a single incident,” Barbee told Brandon Marcello of AL.com. “It was kind of a pattern of behavior. Unfortunately, he continued to make the wrong decisions, and it was getting to a point where it was affecting the entire team, the entire program, so it was time to cut the cord.”
“It’s like I tell all my guys. Life is about decision making. If you continue to make the wrong decisions in this program, you’re letting everybody know you can’t be a part of it anymore.”
Johnson’s dismissal was the latest piece of bad news to hit Auburn in recent seasons, not the least of which is a point-shaving scandal still hanging over the program thanks to Texas-transfer Varez Ward.
Oh, and since I’m writing about Shaq Johnson, I might as well post this again:
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)