Jul 31, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT
Two weeks ago, Auburn head coach Tony Barbee dismissed Shaq Johnson from the team following an arrest for possession stemming from a late-night traffic stop.
Johnson had started 21 games and averaged 5.3 points last season for the Tigers. He’s since transferred to Northwest Florida State.
On Tuesday, Barbee opened up about why he took swift and decisive action against Johnson.
“It wasn’t a single incident,” Barbee told Brandon Marcello of AL.com. “It was kind of a pattern of behavior. Unfortunately, he continued to make the wrong decisions, and it was getting to a point where it was affecting the entire team, the entire program, so it was time to cut the cord.”
“It’s like I tell all my guys. Life is about decision making. If you continue to make the wrong decisions in this program, you’re letting everybody know you can’t be a part of it anymore.”
Johnson’s dismissal was the latest piece of bad news to hit Auburn in recent seasons, not the least of which is a point-shaving scandal still hanging over the program thanks to Texas-transfer Varez Ward.
Oh, and since I’m writing about Shaq Johnson, I might as well post this again:
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)