Aug 1, 2013, 8:20 PM EST
Life as a retiree hasn’t been as smooth as anticipated for former Butler mascot Blue II, who handed the leash over to Blue III (also known as “Trip”) during Senior Day festivities on March 9.
Blue II’s official duties as school mascot were completed in May, but since then health issues have made life difficult for the bulldog much of American fell in love with during Butler’s run to the 2010 national title game.
On Thursday Blue II “chronicled” his health issues since the spring, revealing to readers that he’s been diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy. DCM affects both sides of Blue II’s heart, and is the latest blow for a dog who was already diagnosed with Cushing’s disease.
Cushing’s disease “occurs when a tumor forms on the pituitary gland in the brain, which sends mixed messages to the adrenal glands, which in turn causes the immune system and body to get out of whack.”
Below is a small excerpt of Blue II’s message to the Butler community:
As our coaches often say to the Butler student-athletes, “Leave it all on the field!” I certainly left it all on the field and frankly, I wouldn’t change a thing. In fact, I’m not certain there’s ever been a dog to live a life as charmed as mine.
No doubt, my diagnosis and subsequent prognosis is grim, but thanks to the great care I’ve received, I’ve recovered enough to be able to head home to be with those I love.
So the bad news is I have irreversible heart disease, and it’s likely I won’t be back to Butler any time soon. The good news is, I feel much better, I’m eating well, and I have some more time to spend with my family. I’m a lucky Dawg!
In Blue II’s nine seasons as mascot Butler posted a record of 117-19 at Hinkle Fieldhouse, with the Bulldogs making appearances in the national title game in 2010 and 2011.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)