Aug 1, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
Life as a retiree hasn’t been as smooth as anticipated for former Butler mascot Blue II, who handed the leash over to Blue III (also known as “Trip”) during Senior Day festivities on March 9.
Blue II’s official duties as school mascot were completed in May, but since then health issues have made life difficult for the bulldog much of American fell in love with during Butler’s run to the 2010 national title game.
On Thursday Blue II “chronicled” his health issues since the spring, revealing to readers that he’s been diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy. DCM affects both sides of Blue II’s heart, and is the latest blow for a dog who was already diagnosed with Cushing’s disease.
Cushing’s disease “occurs when a tumor forms on the pituitary gland in the brain, which sends mixed messages to the adrenal glands, which in turn causes the immune system and body to get out of whack.”
Below is a small excerpt of Blue II’s message to the Butler community:
As our coaches often say to the Butler student-athletes, “Leave it all on the field!” I certainly left it all on the field and frankly, I wouldn’t change a thing. In fact, I’m not certain there’s ever been a dog to live a life as charmed as mine.
No doubt, my diagnosis and subsequent prognosis is grim, but thanks to the great care I’ve received, I’ve recovered enough to be able to head home to be with those I love.
So the bad news is I have irreversible heart disease, and it’s likely I won’t be back to Butler any time soon. The good news is, I feel much better, I’m eating well, and I have some more time to spend with my family. I’m a lucky Dawg!
In Blue II’s nine seasons as mascot Butler posted a record of 117-19 at Hinkle Fieldhouse, with the Bulldogs making appearances in the national title game in 2010 and 2011.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)