Aug 1, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
Life as a retiree hasn’t been as smooth as anticipated for former Butler mascot Blue II, who handed the leash over to Blue III (also known as “Trip”) during Senior Day festivities on March 9.
Blue II’s official duties as school mascot were completed in May, but since then health issues have made life difficult for the bulldog much of American fell in love with during Butler’s run to the 2010 national title game.
On Thursday Blue II “chronicled” his health issues since the spring, revealing to readers that he’s been diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy. DCM affects both sides of Blue II’s heart, and is the latest blow for a dog who was already diagnosed with Cushing’s disease.
Cushing’s disease “occurs when a tumor forms on the pituitary gland in the brain, which sends mixed messages to the adrenal glands, which in turn causes the immune system and body to get out of whack.”
Below is a small excerpt of Blue II’s message to the Butler community:
As our coaches often say to the Butler student-athletes, “Leave it all on the field!” I certainly left it all on the field and frankly, I wouldn’t change a thing. In fact, I’m not certain there’s ever been a dog to live a life as charmed as mine.
No doubt, my diagnosis and subsequent prognosis is grim, but thanks to the great care I’ve received, I’ve recovered enough to be able to head home to be with those I love.
So the bad news is I have irreversible heart disease, and it’s likely I won’t be back to Butler any time soon. The good news is, I feel much better, I’m eating well, and I have some more time to spend with my family. I’m a lucky Dawg!
In Blue II’s nine seasons as mascot Butler posted a record of 117-19 at Hinkle Fieldhouse, with the Bulldogs making appearances in the national title game in 2010 and 2011.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)