Aug 1, 2013, 12:08 PM EDT
Syracuse’s move to the ACC may end up knocking Georgetown out of the record books.
Currently, the attendance record for a regular season game played on campus is 35,012, which is the number of fans that packed into the Carrier Dome to see the Hoyas’ final visit to Syracuse as a Big East foe. That also happens to be the only time that the Carrier Dome has officially sold out.
That may all change this season, however.
Per a report from Mike Waters of the Syracuse-Post Standard, the Orange are considering moving the Carrier Dome court from the end zone into the middle of the dome when Duke comes into town next season.
“The schedule hasn’t been released yet, so I can’t confirm it or deny,” SU’s executive senior associate athletic director Joe Giansante told Waters. “We’re looking for ways to celebrate our inclusion in the ACC. Obviously, when Duke comes to town, it’s going to be a special day.”
It’s a neat idea, but it’s also a logistical nightmare, as Waters explains:
Moving the court from its usual location near the Dome’s South end zone to the middle of the football field would be no easy task. The Carrier Dome’s wiring is set up for television crews. That would have to be re-done on a one-time basis. The seating would be a logistical challenge as season-ticket holders would have their seat locations altered. If the court is raised, then potential seating in the lower rows of the permanent football stands would be lost.
I’m generally against playing basketball in a dome, but Syracuse is a unique circumstance. At the Final Four, it can dull down the atmosphere and sterilize the crowd given the size and multiple fan bases in attendance.
That said, I don’t see that being a problem in Syracuse. The game is on campus and the dome will be filled with 50,000-plus fans decked out in Orange. The atmosphere will be ludicrous.
I say go for it.
And save me a press pass.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)