Aug 2, 2013, 11:58 AM EDT
Two former college assistant coaches have found themselves in the news the last two days, and the reasons haven’t been good either.
Just one day after it was reported that former Eastern Washington assistant Craig Ehlo was arrested on charges of domestic violence and reckless burning, former Midland (Texas) JC head coach and Northern Colorado assistant Christopher Craig is the focus of a bizarre (and potentially dangerous) investigation.
According to The Coloradoan, Craig has been referring to himself as an “Islamic jihadist and threatening the demise of Mormons and Catholics at sites across Arizona and Colorado.”
On July 10, Craig, 32, reportedly entered a classroom at the college, raised a Bible in the air, asked the instructor whether he was Mormon and followed his response with obscenities, college spokesman Todd Haynie told the Coloradoan. Campus police later spotted him driving and pulled him over but let him go.
A campus employee the same day told police Craig asked a female counselor if she was Mormon and, when she said yes, responded with derogatory statements, Haynie said. Police later contacted him at a local Walmart and arrested him on suspicion of disorderly conduct; threatening and intimidating; and interference or disruption of an educational facility.
According to the report Craig, who stepped down as head coach at Midland this past spring after two seasons in that role, has not been seen since leaving Rocky Mountain National Park on July 25.
The end of Craig’s tenure at Midland was a strange one to say the least, with the coach stepping down after posting end of the world prophecies on both his Twitter account and personal blog according to the Midland Reporter-Telegram. In two seasons at the school Craig posted a record of 37-18.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)