Aug 2, 2013, 11:58 AM EDT
Two former college assistant coaches have found themselves in the news the last two days, and the reasons haven’t been good either.
Just one day after it was reported that former Eastern Washington assistant Craig Ehlo was arrested on charges of domestic violence and reckless burning, former Midland (Texas) JC head coach and Northern Colorado assistant Christopher Craig is the focus of a bizarre (and potentially dangerous) investigation.
According to The Coloradoan, Craig has been referring to himself as an “Islamic jihadist and threatening the demise of Mormons and Catholics at sites across Arizona and Colorado.”
On July 10, Craig, 32, reportedly entered a classroom at the college, raised a Bible in the air, asked the instructor whether he was Mormon and followed his response with obscenities, college spokesman Todd Haynie told the Coloradoan. Campus police later spotted him driving and pulled him over but let him go.
A campus employee the same day told police Craig asked a female counselor if she was Mormon and, when she said yes, responded with derogatory statements, Haynie said. Police later contacted him at a local Walmart and arrested him on suspicion of disorderly conduct; threatening and intimidating; and interference or disruption of an educational facility.
According to the report Craig, who stepped down as head coach at Midland this past spring after two seasons in that role, has not been seen since leaving Rocky Mountain National Park on July 25.
The end of Craig’s tenure at Midland was a strange one to say the least, with the coach stepping down after posting end of the world prophecies on both his Twitter account and personal blog according to the Midland Reporter-Telegram. In two seasons at the school Craig posted a record of 37-18.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)