Aug 2, 2013, 3:25 PM EST
With assistant Nate Philippe joining new head coach Mike Brennan’s staff at American, Maine head coach Ted Woodward had a vacancy to fill on his coaching staff.
That’s officially been done, as the school announced on Friday that former Lee Academy (Lee, Maine) postgraduate head coach Deshon Gaither has been hired. In two seasons at Lee, Gaither posted a record of 52-17 and his prior collegiate coaching experience came as a member of Max Good’s staff at Bryant (when the Bulldogs were a Division II power before moving up to Division I).
“Deshon is a tremendous addition to our coaching staff and we are thrilled to have him join us,” Woodward said in the release announcing the hire. “He has a wealth of experience at all levels of basketball, understands and is a great teacher of the game, and is an experienced and well-connected recruiter which is vital to success at the college level.
“He comes highly recommended from great people. He has coached at many different levels and throughout the world. We look forward to having Deshon as a Black Bear. He is a great addition to our staff.”
Maine enters the 2013-14 season with no seniors and five freshmen, and they’ll need to account for the departure of leading scorers Justin Edwards (16.7 ppg, 5.2 rpg; transferred to Kansas State) and Alasdair Fraser (13.4, 8.1; turned pro). Maine finished the 2012-13 season with an 11-9 record, going 6-10 in America East play.
Moving up a spot in the conference pecking order may be a bit more manageable despite those key personnel losses however, as Boston University (Patriot League) has been “replaced” by Division I provisional member UMass-Lowell.
Maine’s leading scorers entering the 2013-14 campaign are junior guards Xavier Pollard and Zarko Valjarevic, who averaged 9.7 and 8.4 points per game respectively.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 5
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 9
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)