Aug 2, 2013, 3:25 PM EDT
With assistant Nate Philippe joining new head coach Mike Brennan’s staff at American, Maine head coach Ted Woodward had a vacancy to fill on his coaching staff.
That’s officially been done, as the school announced on Friday that former Lee Academy (Lee, Maine) postgraduate head coach Deshon Gaither has been hired. In two seasons at Lee, Gaither posted a record of 52-17 and his prior collegiate coaching experience came as a member of Max Good’s staff at Bryant (when the Bulldogs were a Division II power before moving up to Division I).
“Deshon is a tremendous addition to our coaching staff and we are thrilled to have him join us,” Woodward said in the release announcing the hire. “He has a wealth of experience at all levels of basketball, understands and is a great teacher of the game, and is an experienced and well-connected recruiter which is vital to success at the college level.
“He comes highly recommended from great people. He has coached at many different levels and throughout the world. We look forward to having Deshon as a Black Bear. He is a great addition to our staff.”
Maine enters the 2013-14 season with no seniors and five freshmen, and they’ll need to account for the departure of leading scorers Justin Edwards (16.7 ppg, 5.2 rpg; transferred to Kansas State) and Alasdair Fraser (13.4, 8.1; turned pro). Maine finished the 2012-13 season with an 11-9 record, going 6-10 in America East play.
Moving up a spot in the conference pecking order may be a bit more manageable despite those key personnel losses however, as Boston University (Patriot League) has been “replaced” by Division I provisional member UMass-Lowell.
Maine’s leading scorers entering the 2013-14 campaign are junior guards Xavier Pollard and Zarko Valjarevic, who averaged 9.7 and 8.4 points per game respectively.
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 1
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)