Aug 3, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
With Syracuse moving to the ACC this season, they’re looking to make a splash in their new league and are already reviewing ways to do so.
One of the ways Syracuse is rumored to be discussing is re-positioning the Carrier Dome floor to the middle of the dome — instead of the current one-sided position — in order to maximize seating when new ACC rival Duke comes to upstate New York.
The move would likely give the Orange 50,000 or so seats to work with for the game and as the rumors and “no comments” from Syracuse administration continue to build the tension surrounding this, Mike Waters of Syracuse.com broke down the necessary fire code applications necessary for such a move to occur.
But such a change in the Dome’s court design would need approval from the City of Syracuse’s Fire Department to make sure the seating plan meets fire safety codes.
Fire chief Steve Cavuto said Friday that the university had yet to present such a plan to the fire department.
“They have to come to us and demonstrate to us that they meet the life/safety code,” Cavuto said. “There’s been talk of them doing this for years, but they haven’t come to us yet.”
Cavuto later says to Waters that it’s an issue of aisles and exits for the fans sitting on the floor.
“It would be easy to tell if they meet the fire safety code,” Cavuto said. “It would just depend on the number of people they want to put on the floor. After that, it’s simple math, really.”
Since the issue doesn’t seem to be a big issue with the fire department — as long as safety standards are met — the floor moving to the center of the Carrier Dome for the Duke game could have some very real legs to it, although it still remains a rumor for now.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)