Aug 3, 2013, 7:36 PM EDT
Offseason surgery is a standard thing for athletes. For college basketball players, knees go under the knife most often, with lingering ankle and foot injuries fairly common as well. UConn’s Omar Calhoun has spent four months of his summer overcoming an unusual surgery, however. According to the Hartford Courant, the rising sophomore suffered from something called femoral acetabular impingement, which required surgeons to shave down his hip bones.
Let’s take a momentary cringe break.
Calhoun is working hard to get back into playing shape as soon as possible. The Brooklyn native doesn’t want anything to get in the way of his appearing in the Huskies’ season opener, against Maryland at the Barclay’s Center.
Calhoun spent four weeks on crutches, then began the arduous rehab. His days are still filled with rehab exercises, stationary bike, elliptical trainer, pool work. He is just now getting on the court for some back-pedaling exercises and occasionally, as he did on Thursday, he sneaks in a few shots.
“I’m on schedule right now,” he said.
Calhoun had a reasonably productive freshman season with the Huskies, averaging 11.1 points per game and grabbing the third-most playing time for UConn. He’ll once again be sharing time in a guard-heavy rotation alongside established veterans Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright. Standing 6’5″, Calhoun can play swing in a three-guard lineup or spell either of his talented teammates. As long as those hips are feeling better, that is.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)