Aug 3, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
UConn and head coach Kevin Ollie are now facing questions surrounding the eligibility of top recruit and power forward Kentan Facey.
A 6’8″ forward, Facey was joined in Connecticut’s recruiting class by fellow New York Rens AAU teammate — point guard Terrence Samuel — and now Facey is drawing concerns about his international status before arriving to the United States three years ago from Jamaica.
From a David Borges blog post in the New Haven Register comes some additional details:
Apparently, Kentan Facey’s eligibility has come into question due to an issue that’s been labeled by multiple sources as “international.” The problem doesn’t appear to have anything to do with Facey’s academics or the like, but rather is a “bureaucratic” snafu of some sort.Facey was born in Jamaica and came to America about three years ago.Impossible to tell how much (if at all) this threatens Facey’s availability to play this season, but obviously it’s a situation to monitor.
The NCAA has shown in the past that it can be fickle in cases involving eligibility — often setting no timeframe for a decision on such matters — and sometimes offering little-to-no rhyme or reason for doing so in the first place.
As Ollie looks to continue to rebuild the Huskie program after taking over for Jim Calhoun, he’ll certainly want all of his pieces in-place — including his top recruit — but he’ll have to wait for the NCAA’s decision on Facey.
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 0
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 0
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 1
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 5 Oklahoma State’s win over Purdue exemplifies issues with new foul rules (3)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)