Aug 3, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
UConn and head coach Kevin Ollie are now facing questions surrounding the eligibility of top recruit and power forward Kentan Facey.
A 6’8″ forward, Facey was joined in Connecticut’s recruiting class by fellow New York Rens AAU teammate — point guard Terrence Samuel — and now Facey is drawing concerns about his international status before arriving to the United States three years ago from Jamaica.
From a David Borges blog post in the New Haven Register comes some additional details:
Apparently, Kentan Facey’s eligibility has come into question due to an issue that’s been labeled by multiple sources as “international.” The problem doesn’t appear to have anything to do with Facey’s academics or the like, but rather is a “bureaucratic” snafu of some sort.Facey was born in Jamaica and came to America about three years ago.Impossible to tell how much (if at all) this threatens Facey’s availability to play this season, but obviously it’s a situation to monitor.
The NCAA has shown in the past that it can be fickle in cases involving eligibility — often setting no timeframe for a decision on such matters — and sometimes offering little-to-no rhyme or reason for doing so in the first place.
As Ollie looks to continue to rebuild the Huskie program after taking over for Jim Calhoun, he’ll certainly want all of his pieces in-place — including his top recruit — but he’ll have to wait for the NCAA’s decision on Facey.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)