Aug 3, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
UConn and head coach Kevin Ollie are now facing questions surrounding the eligibility of top recruit and power forward Kentan Facey.
A 6’8″ forward, Facey was joined in Connecticut’s recruiting class by fellow New York Rens AAU teammate — point guard Terrence Samuel — and now Facey is drawing concerns about his international status before arriving to the United States three years ago from Jamaica.
From a David Borges blog post in the New Haven Register comes some additional details:
Apparently, Kentan Facey’s eligibility has come into question due to an issue that’s been labeled by multiple sources as “international.” The problem doesn’t appear to have anything to do with Facey’s academics or the like, but rather is a “bureaucratic” snafu of some sort.Facey was born in Jamaica and came to America about three years ago.Impossible to tell how much (if at all) this threatens Facey’s availability to play this season, but obviously it’s a situation to monitor.
The NCAA has shown in the past that it can be fickle in cases involving eligibility — often setting no timeframe for a decision on such matters — and sometimes offering little-to-no rhyme or reason for doing so in the first place.
As Ollie looks to continue to rebuild the Huskie program after taking over for Jim Calhoun, he’ll certainly want all of his pieces in-place — including his top recruit — but he’ll have to wait for the NCAA’s decision on Facey.
- No. 8 Kansas loses, but The Andrew Wiggins Show is what’s important 1
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league 2
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s, Stanford headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 1
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 6
- Senior starters once again carry No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)