Aug 3, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
UConn and head coach Kevin Ollie are now facing questions surrounding the eligibility of top recruit and power forward Kentan Facey.
A 6’8″ forward, Facey was joined in Connecticut’s recruiting class by fellow New York Rens AAU teammate — point guard Terrence Samuel — and now Facey is drawing concerns about his international status before arriving to the United States three years ago from Jamaica.
From a David Borges blog post in the New Haven Register comes some additional details:
Apparently, Kentan Facey’s eligibility has come into question due to an issue that’s been labeled by multiple sources as “international.” The problem doesn’t appear to have anything to do with Facey’s academics or the like, but rather is a “bureaucratic” snafu of some sort.Facey was born in Jamaica and came to America about three years ago.Impossible to tell how much (if at all) this threatens Facey’s availability to play this season, but obviously it’s a situation to monitor.
The NCAA has shown in the past that it can be fickle in cases involving eligibility — often setting no timeframe for a decision on such matters — and sometimes offering little-to-no rhyme or reason for doing so in the first place.
As Ollie looks to continue to rebuild the Huskie program after taking over for Jim Calhoun, he’ll certainly want all of his pieces in-place — including his top recruit — but he’ll have to wait for the NCAA’s decision on Facey.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)